Tricky Bird

Allen Hamilton

A little background and then a question for ya'll...

I went turkey hunting for the first time 4 weeks ago and have developed an obsession in that short amount of time.

My second time out I was covered up with birds on an evening hunt (by myself) but couldn't close the deal. The next morning I went out again by myself and had a gobbler, a jake, and two hens come within 10 yards. The gobbler was obscured by some brush and the hens saw me, so I shot the jake (very happily I might add). :bounce:

Since then I've gone back every Sunday to try to kill the big daddy. Last week we set up in the same field and didn't hear a peep. We decided to walk the perimeter of the field calling on occasion and still nothing. We rounded the corner and there they were right where we had left an hour ago. Of course they took off.

This morning in the rain the exact same thing happened. No gobbling, nothing. We set up and waited, calling every 20 minutes or so. We decided to make a loop after 2 hours of silence and when we got back to where we had set up first thing he was out in the field all by himself. When we crossed the ridge he saw us and was airborne.

What would you guys do? Just set up and wait all day if need be? I know he roosts right behind the field and obviously likes to hang out there but the field is horse shoe shaped, around 100 yards wide by 1200 feet long. I haven't heard him make a sound since my first hunt a month ago so it's tough to pinpoint him.

I've learned more on this site than anywhere else and figured somebody would have a good suggestion.

Thanks a lot.

Allen

GADAWGS

I wont offer any advice, I just wanted to congratulate you on killing your first bird.

dominantpredator

I went turkey hunting for the first time 4 weeks ago and have developed an obsession in that short amount of time.

My second time out I was covered up with birds on an evening hunt (by myself) but couldn't close the deal. The next morning I went out again by myself and had a gobbler, a jake, and two hens come within 10 yards. The gobbler was obscured by some brush and the hens saw me, so I shot the jake (very happily I might add). :bounce:

Since then I've gone back every Sunday to try to kill the big daddy. Last week we set up in the same field and didn't hear a peep. We decided to walk the perimeter of the field calling on occasion and still nothing. We rounded the corner and there they were right where we had left an hour ago. Of course they took off.

This morning in the rain the exact same thing happened. No gobbling, nothing. We set up and waited, calling every 20 minutes or so. We decided to make a loop after 2 hours of silence and when we got back to where we had set up first thing he was out in the field all by himself. When we crossed the ridge he saw us and was airborne.

What would you guys do? Just set up and wait all day if need be? I know he roosts right behind the field and obviously likes to hang out there but the field is horse shoe shaped, around 100 yards wide by 1200 feet long. I haven't heard him make a sound since my first hunt a month ago so it's tough to pinpoint him.

I've learned more on this site than anywhere else and figured somebody would have a good suggestion.

Thanks a lot.

Allen
First of all, let me say congrats to you on your jake. Now, I am not going to sit and ambush a turkey. I know alot of people kill them that way and that is fine. However, the attraction to turkey hunting for me is about the show. If he is gobbling and hangs up, I will wait it out. If I hear no response to my calling, I will try a different bird. It gets hot, especially in May and I hate turkey hunting deer hunting stlye. Every bird is killable at some point during the spring. You just have to be there when he is wanting to play. May will be a good month too. Good luck to you.

Allen Hamilton

Thanks a bunch.

I've noticed that the gobbling has tapered way off from what it was. Do they go in streaks where they might slow down for a few weeks and then pick it up again or do they quit gobbling till next year?

sman

Streaks is about right this time of year. One day they won't shut up and the next they won't say a peep. Congrats on your first bird. Sounds like you are hunting a tough one now. Just need to catch him in the mood. You can bushwackem or wait him out or try to find one a little more cooperative. Hunted one like this for about 10 days off and on. Hunted him till 9 am one morning left him and drove a half mile away to another spot, hit the call at 9:30 and heard 3. I was back at the truck by 10 with one in the back along for the ride. It is all about timing and mood.

Allen Hamilton

Well I'll be out there trying to get him for the next two weeks for sure. My options are limited when it comes to packing it up and heading to a new spot because the tract I am permitted to hunt is 80 acres. It's not as small as it sounds because no one else hunts it but there's only so many birds on a piece of ground that size.

I hope they start gobbling because that sure is a lot more fun than hoping he just wanders by. Although if he wanders by I would still be happy.:shoot:

tbgator

Banned

Thanks a lot.

Allen

Hard to hunt a bird if you don't know he's there. Patience will wear on you bad. Try setting up on him in the spots you have seen him the same time of day you saw him before. Don't sit longer than 2-3 hour intervals to keep from getting burned out.Place a gobbler decoy out in strut for him to see.This time of year hens are not their thing, the gobblers are re-grouping.Try gobbling calls instead of hen calls.If he is near he will come and investigate.Time spent will be the key to being there at the right time.

Dudley Do-Wrong

More than anything, I hate sitting in one spot for a long period of time trying to wait one out, it's too much like deer hunting. But, when they go silent, you really don't have much choice. IMO, as a general rule, I use hen dekes unless I know for certain that a tom is with hens. If the tom is with hens I will then put out my B-Mobile. My belief is that if a tom is by himself then he has nothing to protect and the B-Mobile is more likely to scare him away, but if he has hens he will fight to protect his "property".

But, my year (in Ga) has been a bust and I'm probably the last person anyone should listen to.

Slings and Arrows

You mentioned "we". Your bird may be conditioned to your calling and position (you shot his grandson). He bailes out when he knows you're moving away. Next time, leave your partner at your calling location and you go around the field calling. See if he doesn't end up in your partners lap.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Are you calling first, before he gobbles? If so, sounds like you know where he roosts at. Set up between him and the field. DO NOT call until you know for sure he is on the ground. Be ready to sit it out. Call very little. Could be the biggest bird you will ever run into.

trkyburns

This is all good advice. The only thing i will add is that, in the future, be extremely careful approaching that field or any field where there might even be a remote chance of a gobbler. You might even want to belly-crawl up to the field edge to see it all. Scare him too many times and he might move on to another property. Also, don't call before getting near the field - that will only have him looking your way and he will definitely see you.

Allen Hamilton

I really appreciate all the advice. Very helpful.

I should have added that yes, I do know the general area that he roosts, which is why I have been setting up in that same area. I am also worried that I am going to run him into the next county since I blasted his grandson who was standing 3 feet to his left, and have walked into him twice while he was hanging out in the field. I just couldn't sit still any longer and had to get up and walk around even though this most likely cost me the bird.

So if you knew fairly surely that a gobbler was going to make an appearance in a certain field, and you only had that piece of property to hunt (80 acres) would you try a locate call in the a.m. and if you didn't get a response just set up and wait? Or would you sit down without locating and use the box call? Walk around using the box call? Something else?

If I had another piece of ground to hunt I would pack up and try it out and give this spot a rest but I'll have to save that for next season. Plus, the only time that anyone is on this property hunting is for about 5 hours every Sunday. (I hope).

Timberchicken

With limited acres just set up, use locate call. If nothing, sit tight and wait with decoys and little calling. Don't walk around too much may bugger them off your property. Just sit tight in field edge till appearence.