Stumped!!!

preacherman

Hy guys...........I am in need of suggestions. We only have 2 more days of season left and I am getting my rear end kicked by a bird!

Here is the deal, a church member of mine came in Sunday morning and said, "Man, I saw a big gobbler in my field this morning on the way to church!" He then said, "You need to come and kill him!" My mouth just dropped open, I said, "open and shut deal!" If he is in the fields in the morning, then this will be no problem at all.

So, I go Monday morning and actually get to his place late and step out of the truck and this dude is gobbling his head off on the roost. I ease in as far as I can and sit down and he is still gobbling. After a while I do a few soft tree yelps and he just stops gobbling! :huh: So, I just sit there and he doesn't gobble any more! I stayed as long as I could before work and finally had to leave. He didn't gobble another breath!

So, I went back this morning and the same thing happened, except he would cut me off when I did the soft little tree yelps. Had a little more time to stay this morning; so I walked around the place a little more and the place that he is roosted in is a couple of trees that are on the edge of a cutover. And when I say "cutover" it is too thick for even me to walk in! The only place other than this that he could fly down is basically right in front of me, which didn't happen!

My question is, should I go back and try to hunt him this afternoon? Do you think he could still be henned up? Any suggestions are welcome...........because this big boy is kicking my tail and I am ready to put the Mississippi slammer jammer on him!:whip::flag:

tbgator

Banned
When he gobbled he was calling hens. When you answered his job was done and he was waiting to see the hen he heard. He never did of course so knowing how mother nature works he knew something was not right. Happens all the time.

turk2di

Go back & hunt him every chance you get. Try to pattern him.Quick:bounce:

Speaking of pattern, perhaps he has hunters patterened? Did u come in the same way that likely everyone does? Try commin from the opposite direction, perhaps even wait until he flies down b4 even calling! Best of luck!