Last Hunt of Season - Success

C

Cane_Creek

Cold morning but decided to give it one more go. I've been wanting to hunt a particular piece of WMA property I scouted in February but haven't gotten around to it until this morning. Man the birds were talking good. My first owl hoot was answered by 4 birds. Wow, I like this place I thought. Anyway I didn't get one of those. Lots of hens around which surprised me, actually had one fly to me and land above me. So I got on my bike and road about 1 mile. Hit the call and thought I heard a gobble but wasn't sure. Hit the call 3 more times and nothing, but I knew I heard a bird gobble. Hit it one more time and he sounds off only 75 yards out in the swamp. I ditched the bike and took a seat. Hit the call and nothing. Woodpecker screams out and he gobbles 60 yards out. I cut at him and he answers that. I then waited about 5 minutes and did a soft yelp. He blows me out of the woods at 30 yards, then I see him coming. This bird acted like he never heard a turkey call in his life. He just came strolling on in like it was no big deal. I shot him at 15 yards. Man this stuffs fun! I think I'll be revisiting these woods next season.

Smallest body gobbler I've ever seen. A guess about 12 lbs.

I put it on his chest. Didn't want to miss this one :)

43008_4.jpg

430086.jpg

Last edited:

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Congratulations on a fine bird.

Robert