rock hatchet head?

Luke0927

Did i find anything here...looked like what i would think would be an old rock hatchet head...

DSC00604.jpg

DSC00605.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

Last edited:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Looks more like a hoe. I have a couple similar to that. What is it made of?

widowmaker1

definately got something there--but some advise--you DID NOT get it out of a creek or on state or federal property.--it is illegal to take artifacts from waterways or from state or fed. property. i had 4 arrowheads taken from me on the oconee river by the dnr. that is what he told me.

Luke0927

definately got something there--but some advise--you DID NOT get it out of a creek or on state or federal property.--it is illegal to take artifacts from waterways or from state or fed. property. i had 4 arrowheads taken from me on the oconee river by the dnr. that is what he told me.

bought it at a flea market for $.50 :bounce: It has the little lip up on the small end like where they would have had it rested upgainst the wood an maybe tied....

Luke0927

Looks more like a hoe. I have a couple similar to that. What is it made of?

some kind of rock...i can see a few mica chips in it....now that you say a hoe that kind of what it looks like....

widowmaker1

i dont know what it is ,but its a tool for sure ,i've got 2 just like it-1 granite,and one made of some red clay looking material, both have that groove on one side.

Luke0927

i dont know what it is ,but its a tool for sure ,i've got 2 just like it-1 granite,and one made of some red clay looking material, both have that groove on one side.

Yep this is some hard red clay looking material i tried to break a corner of it with my hands when i first found it to make sure it was real

Handgunner

He probably has them in his collection now.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`m gonna be the skeptic on this one. I think it is just a natural stone, with a unique shape. The bit end shows no wear use, and that type of conglomerate stone would not be able to withstand the use without breakin`.

Luke0927

I think that you got a very cheap pet rock.

Well a free pet rock.....makes a nice paper weight ill just set it up on a shelf some where.....

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Without really looking at it, it is hard to tell. I'll try to post some I have found that are similar in shape. But not knowing where it was found it very well could just be a "geo-fact" instead of an artifact.

Luke0927

$.50 ain't free, but for a pet rock you really got a bargain. :rofl:

I i found it somewhere originally it was in the first post but i removed it thats just my alibi and im sticking to it......LOL

bnew17

just curious but how about does the DNR take your arrowheads? Did they find you looking for them or did someone tell them you had found some??? Ive always wondered this.

R

redneckcamo

i say make a tomahawk out of it yurself an get too braggin !!!

greenbrier

I'm gonna go with Nick on this one, its just a rock. Also as far as the finding artifacts in the waterways, if you have permission from a land owner whos property joins the waterway, you can look and take. Looking on state and fed lands is a nono.