Votes: 27 38.0%
  • About what i expected

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • Worse than i expected

Votes: 24 33.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

turk2di

Please take the time to vote in this poll. Please feel free to make whatever comments you wish.

turk2di

The Ky poll i have done showed this so far:
Better than expected------ 29.82%
About what was expected- 28.95%
Worse than expected------ 41.23%
Out of 114 votes.

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
I knew the turkeys were there. Just made stupid mistakes. I should have had the limit on opening week but I shared it with a couple of more hunters. Had a great season but not one that I did not expect. Still having Gobblers answer my calls. Maybe before the season goes out I might get to go a couple of more times. When you are under QTM guide lines it is hard to kill two and three year olds. ;) Tim

Allen Hamilton

I will be the only guy on here whose only take of the season was a single jake (so far) yet voted "better than expected." I got him on my second hunt ever and was by myself. Of all the hunting I've done in my life ( a fair amount) that was the most exciting half hour of any of them.

I'm just mad at myself for waiting till I was almost 30 years old to try it.

GA DAWG

Best I ever had..Finally got in some private land clubs that has turkeys..Its like taking candy from a baby lol......

Robk

took one on the club and two on private lands. feels kinda weird having limited in the first half of the season. gonna be a long wait til next season. might try and get out of state next year to try for another sub-species.

R

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Strange, strange season. I've had hens so close i could touch them. Got busted several times by bad setups and birds coming in from behind. Dropped shotgun and knocked scope off zero(then missed a gobbler running straight away from me). shot at a for sale sign and had 5 pellets hit the upper right corner. Finally, bushwhacked a bird that had too much of a pattern. Killed a "meat bird"(Jake) yesterday that i thought was a gobbler walking through the woods.
The one thing that really stands out is i never heard a real hen yelp this season. Clucks, purrs, lots of putts, gobbles, spit and drum but no yelps.
I'm hunting through this weekend and calling it a year. Any year i kill a bird is a good year.
Good luck everybody!

abolt2506

mine has been about average. however i believe if i could have gotten in the woods a little more it would have been i could have rated it a little higher.

short stop

killed a few birds so far --
keeps getting better and better since most the hens are on the nest --and majority of turkey hunters have given up the gun for the fishin pole .

tbgator

Banned
Strange, strange season. I've had hens so close i could touch them. Got busted several times by bad setups and birds coming in from behind. Dropped shotgun and knocked scope off zero(then missed a gobbler running straight away from me). shot at a for sale sign and had 5 pellets hit the upper right corner. Finally, bushwhacked a bird that had too much of a pattern. Killed a "meat bird"(Jake) yesterday that i thought was a gobbler walking through the woods.
The one thing that really stands out is i never heard a real hen yelp this season. Clucks, purrs, lots of putts, gobbles, spit and drum but no yelps.
I'm hunting through this weekend and calling it a year. Any year i kill a bird is a good year.
Good luck everybody!

We got spoiled last year:bounce:

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Worst year I have ever had..........................I have been a bunch and to places that have turkeys. I've heard 3 birds all on the same morning and that has been it. :banginghe O well gonna keep trying:crazy:

Public Land Prowler

Well I had 3 awesome hunts opening week,and they made the season a success,but it has been down hill since then..lol

No where near the birds as last year,and way more hunters..Like rising gas prices..You think $2.75 a gallon is bad until you get $4...Just like you think 400 people is bad till you get 600..then you wish for 400 people again..lol

This season has been fun, but unsuccessful for me. I've hunted with several really nice guys off the site and been to a couple of WMA's that I've never hunted before. I've hunted with a guy that I just met back during deer season, and although there's 40 years difference in our age, we've become great friends. The only problem is that I haven't seen or heard a gobbler since Tuesday of opening week.

I hope that changes Monday. I'm supposed to go with a guy off the site. He and his son have killed 2 long beards each this year, and he's trying to put me on a bird.

Hawken2222

I've had a great year. I have only taken one bird, but he was a good one. I have also had some great encounters. I hope the last two weekends will provide some more action.

Jody Hawk

I've had a good season. Killed two good birds, one was a public land limbhanger. Gun snapped on another bird. For some reason it didn't throw a shell in the chamber, he walks up at 25 yards, I put the bead on his waddles and click. :bounce: I'm happy cause I'm still hunting and will continue until the end.

tyler1

This has been the worse year for me in a long time as for hearing them gobble and have birds work to my calls. On the other hand I have had more fun by spending time walking and hunting some public land and just looking at some new woods.

capt stan

I voted for better then I expected. I think the poll should have another option....Tougher then expected!!!

I got an early season bird on an evening hunt. I have killed 5 birds in the same area (200 yds) in the last 6 years or so,Then I struggled. I was always on birds.....just couldn't get the shots. I had them patterned good enough to watch them fly up and roost several evenings in a row over a 2 week period. I just couldn't close the deal. Of course I could have limbed them:bounce: But I chose not too.

I had some help from some buds(PLP, Eric) put me on some birds...But I really don't want to talk about those episodes:banginghe

When the conditions were right I finally did what I wanted to do all season..hunt out of the canoe...It paid off big time.:fine:

I learned a bunch this season, covered some new ground and found birds at my same ol spots just like year after year. I guess my biggest learning point was to be determined, stick with it..never quit. It will come together..

Every hour you don't see one...your an hour closer to seeing then next..Just like deer, hogs and fishing. Put in the time!!

Gonna take Sabrina out sat morning and try again to get her one. We had one strutting last sunday morning for 30 min at about 80 yds....again ,couldn't close the deal. Hopefully we can get her one....

Already can't wait till next year!!!