Type of soil and beard length

The Horned Toad

I was talking to another hunter yesterday and he was saying that turkeys in texas and florida will have longer beards than the ones in Ga due to the sandy soil. It made sense to me but I haven't gotten the opportunity to hunt in those states yet. He was saying that turkey's will step on their beards and if the soil is sandy it was just slip out instead of breaking off. What do ya'll think?

tbgator

Banned
I was talking to another hunter yesterday and he was saying that turkeys in texas and florida will have longer beards than the ones in Ga due to the sandy soil. It made sense to me but I haven't gotten the opportunity to hunt in those states yet. He was saying that turkey's will step on their beards and if the soil is sandy it was just slip out instead of breaking off. What do ya'll think?
Makes sense. Dragging beards on sand better too.Sharper spurs as well.

Public Land Prowler

I have noticed longer beards on birds in the swamp.Makes sense..Since they genetically tend to have longer legs for wading,thus longer beards before they drag the ground...lol

huntmstr

Banned
Depends on where in Texas. There's a lot of mesquite and cactus and juniper scrub in Texas. As a result, the beards can get worn as do the spurs. But Osceolas in FL, oh yes. Longer spurs and beards generally speaking.

jonboy

Good point, but actually Ga has some of the longest beards on record. Check it out on NWTF.com.:cool:

Dudley Do-Wrong

One thing to consider is that we do have colder weather in Ga (than FL). The ends of a beard tend to get brittle when it gets cold and will break off.

GA DAWG

I saw this same thing on a turkey show yesterday.They said birds in sandy soil hand longer beards cause they didnt drag them off.