Who uses a Gobble call?

BANDERSNATCH

I'm sure this has been asked before, but after last weekend's experience I thought I'd throw it out there and learn something from you guys with experience.

Do you use a gobble call when in the woods? As you may have read in snookers post, we harvested some birds this weekend, and one of these birds was definitely coming to a gobbler that was near us. We had a gobbler only yards from us in the tree, and a gobbler about 80-90 yards out. Snooker shot the gobbler that was close to us when he flew down, and minutes later shot the other gobbler as he ran in with a fox on his tail. Fox or not, this bird was coming to us, and obviously didn't mind that another gobbler was in our area.

I've never used a gobble call while hunting, but this has me rethinking it...

Bandy

Handgunner

I've used one when nothing else would work and there was nothing else to try...

I can't say that it's helped or hurt me though.. I guess it would be like decoy use... some turkeys love them, while others hate them.

It would depend a lot on the temperature of the bird.

I've used a gobble when one would hang up and wouldn't come any closer... I figured if he's hung up, maybe if I sound like another bird he'll come in to defend his territory.

Where that hurts ya though, IMO, is on subordinate birds. They don't like a fight.. so they'll probably skirt you...

Get a dominant bird in the area and gobble at him and I could see how he'd coming looking....

A lot of variables, I know...

BANDERSNATCH

Would it get a quiet bird to gobble? Are you saying you would use it to shock one?

Bandy

tyler1

I sometimes gobble on a tube call. I have a buddy that has a shacker gobble call. I have heard it when he uses it and it sounds real bad. Now on the other hand he said that it works and the turkeys gobble at it.

Greg Tench

Primos gobble call. Instead of shaking it with one hand, take and hold the end of the call in one hand then use the other hand to work it back and forth very vigorously. It sounds a lot better.

whitetaco02

Primos gobble call. Instead of shaking it with one hand, take and hold the end of the call in one hand then use the other hand to work it back and forth very vigorously. It sounds a lot better.

Greg, my dad bought one and BPS the other day after last weekend. The birds were coming towards each other's gobbles. We saw 5 gobblers together with no hens. I will be using it tomorrow and I agree with your method of use!

gobble157

I don't use it. I'm affraid of other hunters and what they're capable of doing. If I'm hunting private property, which is only on rare occasions I might use it, but I usually find success without even getting that far down my list of tactics.

huntmstr

Banned
I use one quite a bit in the mid to late season, especially mid morning after they have gotten quiet on private land. It has worked quiet well for me, especially on henned up birds. this time of year, it works less than 50% of the time. But I like using it when the time is right and it works well for me. Sometimes better than any raspy old hen or fighting purrs. Gotta know what your birds are doing before you use it though, as it might just make them run the other way. I used it Saturday and had 2 gobblers come out of the woods and go to strutting for me. they wouldn't come across the field, but at least I got a good look at them and gave me an opportunity to see if they were what I wanted to shoot or not. I got to watch them for about 20 minutes and decided to let them go to roost. We got back on Sunday, but they already had their minds set to head off the property with a group of hens. Nothing we did Sunday worked on those two old longbeards. That's just turkey hunting. It's long periods of disappointment interrupted by brief bouts of success.

huntmstr

Banned

I use this one too. Although I find that shaking it sounds better for me, and I can keep one hand free to hold my gun. I can also put the call behind me and make it sound like I'm gobbling away from the other birds, that has worked well too.

Public Land Prowler

I use it for two reasons.

#1-To appeal to a birds dominant side.

#2 late in the season when they are grouping back up.

For the last 2 weeks I know of as many or more being taken coming to a gobble shaker,or going to another gobbler,and the hunter happened to be between the two of them,than birds being taken coming to a hen call...

Dupree

I worked one for an hour and a hlaf saturday and pulled out the gobble shaker then he came right on in!

Donny

I was at bass pro shop in feb. and they had a new one I think from primos and that think sounded alot better than the old ones.I have seen them work on a hung up bird but it ain't something I use every day.Just my 2 cents.

boo

my second bird this year came to a primos. i worked this bird for over two hrs and moved on him many times. he had two hens with him and they took him away from me every time i got close. he would gobble every time i made a call but i couldnt pull him away from the hens or Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ---- off the hens enough to come in. so i tried yelping and then gobbling rite after.i did this twice and i noticed he shut up and never gobbled again. it wasnt five minutes and here he came with the hens in tow. his head was as high as he could get it and was looking hard . i know the gobble call is what did the trick. i was on private land and it was my best bird ever with 1 1/4 '' spures.

C

Cane_Creek

I've never tried one. I was on a hunt a week ago and the gobblers were going to eachother, and not hen calls. We needed a gobbler call. Next year I'm going to try one - for late season.

chambers270

Maybe I need one of these for the bird I have been after. He used to answer anything but now he will gobble one maybe 2 times in the morning and that is it.

Chris