Tree Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd E

Barring insect infestations, wind, lightning, drought etc.............

Will a tree die of old age? I realize it sounds stupid, but will/would a tree live forever?

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Yes, but they don't really have "fixed" lifespans like animals or people. They have really wide average lifespans. There are some bristlecone pines that have been found and are said to be 4,700years old.

Now they have announced a tree in Sweden being the oldest at 9,550 years old...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/04/080414-oldest-tree.html

Big Texun

No, a tree will not live forever. Like people, as they get older, they become more susceptible to all sorts of ailments, from vascular diseases to pests.

Some types of trees tend to live longer than others... but, eventually, they will all die.

Big Tex

PS: I'm ISA Certified Arborist #SO-5437A

rip18

Something is going to kill the tree, just like something is the cause of death for people. As we (and trees) get older, we become more susceptible to ailments that we might survive as younger individuals.

Each stress (whether it be competition, ice storm, insect attack, disease, etc) reduces a trees resources and makes it more susceptible to the next stressor.

With that said, different tree species have different life expectancies, and are more susceptible to stressors at different ages...

Todd E

Thanks !!

I could only hope that there was an arborist on here;)
Thanks, Big T.

Kinda' odd question to ask. We stopped for lunch today under the shade of a large tree and it got us to thinking.
Wonder how old that tree is?
Wonder if it will die of old age?
....or will it just keep on keepin' on.

Thanks again.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.