Mossberg 835 barrel length?

Spike

Mossberg makes a turkey gun with a 24" and a 20" barrel. Do you think I would be losing anything by going to the 20" barrel? Pro's / Con's. Anyone have this gun? Thanks

fountain

my wife bought one last year with a 20" bbl. this year i did more research on a choke/shell combo. her gun was shooting very high and i could not adjust id down enough. i had to put a red dot scope on it. i have a .670 kicks in it shooting the 3.5" nitros in a #7.5 with 2 5/8 oz. shot. i am getting around 250-260 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards. next year i may go with a .690 rhino or jellyhead and the nitro 4x5x7.5 load. i am hoping i can get upwards of 300 pellets in the 10" circle.
with that being said--you will not lose anything going with that short of a bbl. i learned the hard way--don't overchoke the gun. it works well with a .690 jellyhead or rhino choke shooting the nitro shells, win x-tended range 6's or the hevi-13 6's.

returntoarchery

put a honking recoil pad on it if you're gonna shoot 3 1/2" magnum turkey loads. With those you end up with 77+ lbs of recoil energy which is more than the .458 Winchester Magnum.

A good friend of mine who's built like a rock and has always had a extremely high pain threshold and is an excellent gunsman, had his on his first shot at a turkey knock his glasses and hat off and numb his chin and shoulder when he made the mistake of shooting it off balanced.

Best I can tell it is a good gun for the money otherwise.

Last edited:

fountain

o yea i forgot i took my sims pad off my 835 and put on her little gun. it really helped. make sure you have your thumb in the hole good!!!

abolt2506

i shoot the Tack Turkey 835 witn 20" and it shoots great! i had a
24" and liked it as well. the big adv i get from the 20" barrel and adjustable stock is manuverability( I can't spell but you know what i mean) I had no idea the pounds of recoil but i know i have wandered who gets the worst end of the gun? Me or the turkey!!!
They are great guns either one.