Barrel length on your turkey guns?

Handgunner

I have a Remington 870 Super Express Magnum... with a 26" barrel, choked with a Primos Jellyhead.. which extends it another 2".

870-1.jpg

The barrel has been worked by Gun Docc and I'm thinking about sending it to him and having it shortened.

He recommends no shorter than 24". I trust him completely.

My question is though, with the choke I'm shooting, I'm only losing 2". Would it be worth all the trouble, just to lose 2" of length?

I'm shooting Nitro 4x5x7's -- 3.5" -- 2 1/4oz.

What would y'all do? Leave it as is? Shorten it?

I have no complaints with it's performance.. but it is a bit long and sometimes gets in the way while trying to make a shot..

bull0ne

Banned
I have a Remington 870 Super Express Magnum... with a 26" barrel, choked with a Primos Jellyhead.. which extends it another 2".

870-1.jpg

The barrel has been worked by Gun Docc and I'm thinking about sending it to him and having it shortened.

He recommends no shorter than 24". I trust him completely.

My question is though, with the choke I'm shooting, I'm only losing 2". Would it be worth all the trouble, just to lose 2" of length?

I'm shooting Nitro 4x5x7's -- 3.5" -- 2 1/4oz.

What would y'all do? Leave it as is? Shorten it?

I have no complaints with it's performance.. but it is a bit long and sometimes gets in the way while trying to make a shot..

Leave the barrel alone and get a bigger blind. :bounce:

hawglips

Banned
I wouldn't want it any shorter. I like a 26 to 28" barrel. Going from 22 to 28 inches gives you about 5 yards downrange.

trailhunter

I've got a 24 inch barrell on my main gun. My turkey gun before this one had a 26 inch barrel. I prefer the 24 inch, especially if you've got a good choke and its patterned. Even though it is only 2 inches, I can tell a lot of difference just in moving the gun around and getting it set up or shifting it in brush.

gobble157

24" all the way. I've got a browning gold and it definitely puts the hurting on some turkeys. Good choke and correct load will do the number regardless of barrel length.

trkyhntr70

I like the shorter barrel too, I have one 870 with the 26"bbl and a supermag with the 23"bbl both have an indian creek choke. I prefer to hunt with the shorter one.
You will likely loose a little pattern with the shorter bbl but shootin the nitros I dont think you have a thing to worry about.

Handgunner

I measured it last night to verify it's length... It's 24.5" as is, plus 2" of choke tube.

I guess I'll leave it alone and do as others have suggested, just get a bigger blind. :D

Wghead0953

I'd leave it alone. I recently went from a 24" to a 28" and I believe it helps me get on target quicker. Also helps with moving targets. I don't shoot with a scope though.

Donny

I have a 24" shooting nitro 4x5x7 with a killer pattern.Also have the rhino choke.

G Duck

ditto with donny, that is my setup. If I were you. I would not bother, but If I were considering another turkey gun, I would go with the 24, and call them in the extra 15 yds, With the setup you have, your range is probably 45+. Im not sure you need the 15 theory yards.

G Duck

Delton, did you engrave the spur, or is it a decal on the stock. Looks good!

JACKED UP

I have a 22" barrell on my 870 SPS-T. I have a pure gold .670 choke which extends it another 2 inches. I love the short barrel on this gun and it really helps swinging around on a turkey. I highly reccommend it. I have a good pattern out past 50 yards with this gun, so I personally have no complaints. I also have a Bennelli SBE II with a 24" barrell. It is a good gun and patterns good out to 60 yards. I have a pure gold .670 choke in it as well. I like the bennelli but the remington is easier to swing around and I actually prefer it over the Bennelli for turkey hunting. Go figure. I payed 3 times as much for the Bennelli. The SBE II with that 24" barrell should pay for itself this winter shooting wood ducks in beaver swamps though. I am shooting 3-1/2" 2-1/4 oz #5 hevi-shot in both guns.

ditto with donny, that is my setup. If I were you. I would not bother, but If I were considering another turkey gun, I would go with the 24, and call them in the extra 15 yds, With the setup you have, your range is probably 45+. Im not sure you need the 15 theory yards.

i can assure you it ain`t theory on that 15 extra yards,
but maybe i should just get you to do my calling since you can always call one in 15 more yards every time.
thats an awesome talent you got there.

Handgunner

Delton, did you engrave the spur, or is it a decal on the stock. Looks good!
Thanks, it's a decal. I tried painting one on it, but it didn't turn out like I wanted...

rutandstrut

I have one Turkey Gun with a 24" Barrel and one with a 20" Barrel. Both were worked on by Rob Roberts of Gobbler Guns and both will shoot with the best of them! I am averaging 93% of the available Pellets, with an even pattern across a Turkey Target at 40
Yards with both Guns.

With the Modern Powders that are used in todays Shotshells, The maximum velocity is reached somewhere between 19-20" after ignition. Older Powders needed the longer barrel to allow the slower burning powder to fully burn and reach maximum velocity prior to leaving the barrel. I also like the shorter barrel for the ease in manueving and ability to move through thicker woods without getting hung up!

G Duck

i can assure you it ain`t theory on that 15 extra yards,
but maybe i should just get you to do my calling since you can always call one in 15 more yards every time.
thats an awesome talent you got there.

Easy Francis!
MV is reached prior to 24" like Rut&Strut said, with todays modern powders. The only reason I would intentionaly have a longer bbl. is for the sight plane.
I will not coment on your other quote.