Choseing the right Broad head for xbow

BoxCallWillie

First off I want to thank j_seph
for the EZ winder to be able to cock my crossbow.
Thanks Joe !

I am new to useing a crossbow, and want to be able to take my first ever deer useing one.
That said, what is a good weight and type of broad head to get for this.
Should I stay with a fixed blade or Mech blade.
The xbow I have is a Horton Explorer XL 150#.
When I choose the broad head, should I be practicing with the same weight target tip ? so I will basicly know how it shoots ?
Guys this is my first rodeo with a crossbow, so I realy need the advice from you that use them alot.
Thanks in advance everyone .

BCW

Buckaholic2000

I have a similar set up on my dad's Xbow and I use Muzzy MX-3 broadheads and with a steady rest I can shoot tennis balls at 50yds with them.

They are 100 grain 3 blade with 1 1/4" cutting diameter.

And yes use the same grain field tip as your broadhead, also always shoot your BH's at each yardage to ensure they are shooting the same as your field tips even if you choose to go with a Mech. which I wouldn't recomend b/c of dependability I know what kind of hole my Muzzy will make reguardless of what it hits or how it hits.

PS Make sure you either pre mark your yardages or get a good range finder.

Good Luck!

BoxCallWillie

Thanks buckaholic

Have you shot other broadheads with your dads xbow ?
and how would you compair them ?

Were you shooting carbon or Alum. bolts ?
1 other question you shooting 20" or 22" bolts.
mine are 20" bolts , I have carbon and Alum ...
Sure do want to be right when the time comes :bounce:

again thanks !
BCW

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
I'm shooting an Excalibur Exomag. i've tried several mechanicals and fixed blade heads. for me, the Shuttle T-Loc 100 gr. head works the best. mechanicals just seem to lose a lot of energy while expanding and also the rubber rings (Crimson Cuda in particular) would blow off or down the bolt causing premature expansion and flyers. The Shuttle-Loc's give excellent penetration usually going all the way through a Delta Buck target. Just my opinion, Robert
p.s. you might want to move this question to the archery section for more responses

Buckaholic2000

His are Alum. Best thing to do is shoot them both with field tips and see which type give you better groups.

I would probably recomend carbon and I think they were 22" bolts he has had them for like 6 or 7 years.

The Key is practice simulate hunting situations cause they are different than a gun get in your stand and shoot and cock it in the clothes that you will hunt in. It makes a big difference!

Oh yeah make sure to aim behind the sholder.........

Good Luck

biggtruxx

i use the rage 3 blade myself ........ they fly great with carbon shafts.. 100 grain

TOW

NAP Spitfires in 100 grains.

Same point of impact as field points.