Turkey color question

Buckbuster

I see turkeys around my house sometimes and some of them have lighter colors than others. Is this where they have bred with domestic turkeys or is it natural for wild turkeys to have different colors? Some of them are real light colored, brownish white looking.

S

Sugar Hill Scouter

I've hunted for 17 years now, and every wild turkey I've seen has the same coloration. I have seen pictures of albino turkeys, but never seen any in the wild.

gordylew

I was seeing a white hen in henry county years ago,. she wasnt albino because her wing feathers were brown,. I,ve seen wild turkeys with very light fan tips but most are chocolate.

stumpshooter

I took this picture in TN. Don't know if she got mixed with a tame one or not but she was a wild turkey for sure.

Attachments

• albino turkey 43.jpg
    albino turkey 43.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 145

Mac

I saw, many times over a three year period, a hen very similar to the picture posted by stumpshooter. She was in a flock that hung around our school.
The timber was cut a few years ago and the turks moved.

Buckbuster

I do believe what I see around here has some domestic mixed in. I may see 10 turkeys and 1 or 2 of them will have odd colors. Seem likes they would not be able to live in the wild as good if they had tame turkey blood in them.