Before and After

Slings and Arrows

I had a wild time in the Black Hills SD last week. Thursday afternoon had two strutters about 25 yards through brush. That night the blizzard came. Two feet of snow and 40 mph wind with gusts to 68 mph. The birds didn't come down from the trees until Saturday. The first picture is the stutters and the second picture is the same spot the next day. On the bright side, no snakes or skeeters!

Last edited:

Gadget

wow, that's incredible how the weather can change like that in the mid west! Were you hunting public land or on a reservation?

Slings and Arrows

wow, that's incredible how the weather can change like that in the mid west! Were you hunting public land or on a reservation?

National forest land. I would like to try the reservation next time - you can take two birds there. It's a long way to travel for just one.

Gadget

National forest land. I would like to try the reservation next time - you can take two birds there. It's a long way to travel for just one.

yeah I'm looking into going next year, might do the reservation in SD, then maybe drive down to Nebraska and do some public land down there.

Slings and Arrows

yeah I'm looking into going next year, might do the reservation in SD, then maybe drive down to Nebraska and do some public land down there.

My buddy that was up there with me did that very thing. He shot one the first afternoon in SD. Then after a day of cabin feaver, ran down to Nebraska (only a couple hour drive to the state park) and shot another nice bird.

Slings and Arrows

Another bonus Saturday afternoon when spots of snow started melting, these sheep came down by the road to find some open grass. Took the pic at about 15 yrds.

Last edited:

Dudley Do-Wrong

Wow, planning on the SD trip next year, looks like I need to plan for the end of the season.

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
Sweet pictures. One day I will get to go West and explore. Nice trip you had. Tim

huntmstr

Banned
You can go just across the border into Nebraska and shoot 3 birds there... and a lot cheaper too. I am hunting three this week. Leaving Friday to hunt 10,000 acres for 4 days. Cost is $700 plus licenses and airfare. $700 includes the hunting, the cabin and dinners each night. I will keep yall posted. But so far, the whole trip will cost me less than $1500 per person with airfare, vehicle, incidentals and licenses.