Maine bans remote control hunting

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
mainetoday.com ^ | 05/11/05 | AP

Maine bans remote control hunting

AUGUSTA - Maine has put up a "keep out" sign for a high-tech version of hunting in which computers and cameras are used to kill animals from remote locations.

Gov. John Baldacci has signed a bill to ban remote-control hunting, in which clients hook up online to a set of cameras at a ranch, then sight game and fire a rifle. The bill, which was signed Tuesday and takes effect 90 days after the close of the current session, will make remote operations targeting game or birds in Maine locations illegal.

By enacting the ban, Maine joins other states that are outlawing high-tech innovations which game managers say give hunters an undue advantage. Maine's law is pre-emptive, since there are no remote-hunting locations in the state.

Legislatures around the country took action after a San Antonio entrepreneur created a Web site designed to let hunters shoot exotic game animals or feral pigs on his private hunting ranch by remote control, with the click of a mouse, from anywhere in the world.

The Associated Press

huntaholic

Good Deal

We should push our state to do the same, WAY TO GO MAIN. :cool:

GeauxLSU

As disgraceful and disgusting as I find the thought of that practice, I would have MUCH prefered the free market take care of that (by simply not participating) than a government decideing to restrict a hunting issue (yes it's not 'hunting' but you get my point). Hopefully they don't decide something we currently participate in is next....
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

littlewolf

GeauxLSU said:
As disgraceful and disgusting as I find the thought of that practice, I would have MUCH prefered the free market take care of that (by simply not participating) than a government decideing to restrict a hunting issue (yes it's not 'hunting' but you get my point). Hopefully they don't decide something we currently participate in is next....
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

I too hate the thought of more laws..but I'm not sure the free market would take care of this one. It doesn't seem to be taking care of the high fence operations. There will always be people with bucks that will pay for bucks on their wall. :mad: