out of state next year

tom turkey 2x2

Would like to go somewhere out of state next year turkey hunting on my own, no guide, public land, hunt 3 to 5 days and camp. Other than Missouri,where would other's vote for, what state? I am more interested in easterns, public land, and least hunting pressure. Really interested in what others think?

short stop

Alabama thats where I'm headin --millons of acres of wma land very little pressure ---whole lot less than middle GA

gobblinglawyer

Missouri is a heck of a good choice, but Arkansas is good, too. I would try either one of those with Alabama being a close third.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
WV, where else :fine:

Aztec

I wouldn't overlook the mountains of NC. Lots of public land and turkeys that have never been hunted in the back country.

tom turkey 2x2

Aztec suggested North Carolina, which I like, but know absolutely nothing about ther Mountain WMA's or game lands as the NC web site refers to them. Would anyone suggest a good game land to turkey hunt on?

Arrow3

I know you said easterns but im gonna try to get out to Oklahoma and kill a Rio....I have an old high school buddy out there with some land....All it will cost me is a plane ticket and a out of state lic. :cool:

Junebug

tom turkey 2x2 said:
Aztec suggested North Carolina, which I like, but know absolutely nothing about ther Mountain WMA's or game lands as the NC web site refers to them. Would anyone suggest a good game land to turkey hunt on?

Caswell Game Lands or anywhere in the north cetral portion of the state along the VA line; Rockingham, Person, Caswell, Vance, Granville.

GaDeerSlayer

Tom Turkey...

It all depends on how far you are willing to travel...

Missouri has more turkeys than any other state with an estimated population of 575,000 easterns...

Texas has the 2nd higest population which is estimated at 500,000 with a mix of easterns and Rio Grandes.

Alabama and Kansas are tied for 3rd with a population of 400,000 birds...Both have Easterns...Kansas also has Rio Grandes and Hybrids...

If I were to go out of state turkey hunting, I would personally pick from one of these 4 states simply because there are more birds to hunt. I hunted public land in Alabama last year while I was going to school and loved it! I did not kill a bird but I did have several oppurtunities to, I just blew it. :banginghe Alabama has over 20 million acres of forested land to hunt on and an out of state 3 day licence is only $75 making the trip very afforadable especially if you are planning on camping...I'm not too sure about the other states I listed but if you are interested in an Alabama hunt shoot me a PM and I will put you on some birds...Hope this helps out a little... :cheers:

Matt

Dudley Do-Wrong

I believe in Turkey call magazine, Missouri was the number 1 state and Alabama was the number 2 state for turkey. I'm planning for South DaKota for merriams.

Junebug

tom turkey 2x2 said:
Other than Missouri,where would other's vote for, what state?

Simple curiosity; Is there a reason why no MO? Have you been there already and just want to try a different state? I hunt there every year and if I could only pick one state MO would be it...hand-down.

Gadget

Close by.......... I would say Alabama.

The Black Hills of South Dakota is supposed to be some good public land Turkey hunting.

Dudley Do-Wrong

If anyone is interested:

One of my callmaking friends successfully hunted merriams in South Dakota. He hunted some Indian reservation land I believe in the Black Hills. This was a non-guided hunt, had to arrange for lodging and all. He is supposed to provide me with all the contact info. Would be great to go as a group.

stumpshooter

I went out towards Batesville, AR with a buddy and there is plenty of turkeys out there and there is plenty back home in Greene County TN where you could hunt the Cherokee National Forest or jump across too NC on the Pigsha National Forest. I also went with a friend last weekend too Erie Co. PA and was able too call in a gobbler for a buddy. I know down in South GA at Horse Creek there's plenty of turkeys and theres a whole lot on Grand Bay but the state don't allow hunting there for some reason, course you can hunt'em on Moody AFB which butts right up against it!

Good Luck with the Hunt! If it were easy we couldn't call it huntin!!! :flag:

hawglips

Banned
Check your private messages.

I sent you some info.

Hal

tom turkey 2x2

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for all the replies and the P.M. 's I have about decided on trying Al. , because it i s close (I live in the west side of Ga.) Thanks again! Does anyone have a recommendation for a Al. WMA??

GaDeerSlayer

Tom Turkey...

Shoot me an email at bunnster34@hotmail.com...I can point you in the right direction as far as WMA's...No promises but I can probably put you on some birds...I have not hunted there since last season but I do know where a bunch of longbeards were last year... :shoot:

Latest posts