Cat Urine

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubdog

My fiance and I just bougth a house a few weeks ago and we did not notice until we moved in a cat urine smell in the garage. The previous owners did not have a cat when they moved out. I found the soure to be the bottom six inches of both garage doors. I guess a tomcat sprayed them down good. I saw the enzyme cleaners at Petsmart, does anyone think that it will do a good job of removing the smell or does anyone know of any other solutions? Thanks in advance for any help.

W4DSB

Spray the area with White vinager and it will kill the odor

JohnK3

Banned
Ayup. Any vinegar, for that matter.

sharon

Our son bought a house 5 years ago. It had not been lived in for several months, but the cat urine odor was still around. After pulling up all the carpet and vinyl, he found that the sub-floor was stained from the previous owners cats. After he spent about $200.00 on cleaning supplies, about a week trying to get rid of the odor, scrubbing floors, cleaning floor vents...he was told by a builder to try painting KILZ on any of the wood that had been stained. He did and it worked immediately. The odor was gone and never came back.

Laman

Your next problem is to get rid of the tomcat. Once they have marked their territory they usually return time and time again. I have several suggestions but I live in the country if you know what I mean:bounce :

rutandstrut

What material is the Doors made of? If they are Solid Wood or Pressed Wood. The Urine probably soaked into the Door and you may not be able to get rid of the smell with anything. I would try that first and then if that doesn't work I would let it dry real good and then seal it with KILZ or some other brand of sealer and then paint over that when it dries! You may want to put a couple coats of KILZ to make sure it doesn't come back.

If you visit this Site there is a Cat Repellent Tonic that is cheap to make:

http://www.gardenrebel.com/

bubdog

Thanks for all the help, hopefully I can get started on removing the smell this weekend. All the smell is on the inside of the door, but if I do see a tomcat around it will give me a good reason to buy a Gamo air rifle to scare him away :bounce:

John2

Removing the cat

Removing the cat is easy if you have a hav-a-hart trap. Just put some sardines in it and you will catch a cat in no time. Then call animal control and tehy will take it away. It is the only legal way I know to handle them. I have removed 4 from my yard in the past month or two doing that. There always seems to be more....

Status
Not open for further replies.