Another 12v Stealth cam question

Derek Edge

Just wondering if one of those small 12v batteries will operate this camera. I had one last year that was a 12v model, so by that, I "assumed" a regular car battery would work it. Boy was I wrong, it never worked again.

Jim Ammons

I have a Moultrie set up on a12 volt lawn mower battery-another Moultrie set up on a 12 volt ATV battery. Both work excellent- the only difference that you will see in a smaller battery compared to a larger battery is higher amperage which will make the battery last longer before recharging. 12 volts dc is 12 volts dc regardless-I have built my own coon hunting lights for years with no problem. Take my experience for what it is worth!

Derek Edge

Well, that's what I thought. The battery I used actually was a brand new Semi truck battery. but it is still 12v's, or at least I think it is, I better go check.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Derek,
What probably happened with your camera is that the automotive battery was actually charged more than 12volts. I've seen several posts on other several other sites mentioning your exact problem and stating the batteries were actually charged 13-15 volts.
I've used electric fence batteries, atv, wheel chair, and pretty much any SLA with no problem. just my .02, Robert

Last edited:

Derek Edge

Derek,
What probably happened with your camera is that the automotive battery was actually charged more than 12volts. I've seen several posts on other several other sites mentioning your exact problem and stating the batteries were actually charged 13-15 volts.
I've used electric fence batteries, atv, wheel chair, and pretty much any SLA with no problem. just my .02, Robert

Just out of curiousity, I went and measured the voltage on the truck battery and sure enough, it's reading 14.2 volts. Guess I should have did that first.

bowwinkles

Derek,---I figured we had missed the 4 in the model number. If you tip the cam up so you can read print by the external battery port it will show that the normal inpup is 12 volts with center positive. Many folks use the Stealth battery pack as an external source of power.

Derek Edge

yeah, I had an old lawnmower battery, that still holds a charge, lying around and it worked great.

Gadget

Many folks use the Stealth battery pack as an external source of power.

yes and I highly recommend it. I'm using the same 12 volt battery the Basspro sells, you can put it in the stealthcam battery box or buy the battery cable and put the battery in a tupperware container.