expired tag / renew tag help "PLEASE" !!!!!

jon c anderson

ok i bought this truck from a private owner with a good title & an expired tag since 2006. i fixed up the truck to sell (no offers) so i tagged & insured it so i can start driving it.

the dmv told me i have to pay the previous owners taxes !:huh: why am i responsible for the pervious owners taxes ?? they told me its a new law since 5 yrs. ago.the dmv told me to contact the old owner to pay the taxes , sure right ?

PLEASE EXPLAIN:confused:

just alittle ticked off here !

jon anderson
229 896 6140
229 456 0647

thats sounds crazy
maybe try telling them it was totaled and you did a total rebuild
if it was totaled for a few years,it shouldn`t had any value
it might work....all they can say is no
or tell them you will have to charge them a collection fee for collecting back taxes

awstapp

that is correct....example being that my last boat didnt have a tag on it for the previous year that I bought it. When i went to get a tag under my name, I had to pay taxes on the current year and year that hadnt been payed. I agree...it sucks!!

jon c anderson

that is correct....example being that my last boat didnt have a tag on it for the previous year that I bought it. When i went to get a tag under my name, I had to pay taxes on the current year and year that hadnt been payed. I agree...it sucks!!

so what if you bought a truck to restore & its like a 1949 ?

what can we do about this ? how come the state is making us responable for someones else taxes ?

Something is not right here. I know people that have parked vehicles for years, and then retagged them.

Have you talked to the local tax agent (tax commissioner)?

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
If the vehicle was not on the road then taxes shouldn't be due, that's ridiculous.

Ta-ton-ka chips

GONetwork Member
Something is not right here. I know people that have parked vehicles for years, and then retagged them.

Have you talked to the local tax agent (tax commissioner)?

If it's not running and not on the roadways then why should ANY tax be owed?

I believe you're getting bad info in this case. Since when is a private citizen required to collect taxes from others for the government. Will they deputise you, give you a gun and a bullet? This is absurd. :hammers:

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
You are getting the correct info. unfortunately... those taxes will be paid by someone before you get a tag, and since you bought the truck and are trying to get a tag, you are the one who is going to pay them if you want a tag. I've had the same issue with several vehicles which were parked (already registered in my name), not being used, no insurance and registration, and when you try to get a current tag you will pay those taxes. If you sell it with taxes owing, the new owner will pay them. Doesn't seem fair at all.

Thats not the only thing that isn't fair. My son drove a friends truck to the store. He was pulled over in a traffic stop, the tag on the truck showed it was valid, but when the tag was run it came back showing it was cancelled. He was charged with driving on a suspended/cancelled tag, the vehicle was towed, and it ended up costing 1200.00... We went to court and the judge said, "It is your responsibility to know the tag is valid", to which I responded, "The tag had been cancelled less than 2 weeks, and it showed a valid sticker, and it wasn't even his vehicle". Well the owner didn't pay anything, get charged with anything... And the judge failed to mention that since my son was convicted of driving on a suspended/cancelled registration his GA drivers license would also be suspended... a couple of months later he was pulled over for no seatbelt, they ran his drivers license, it came back suspended, they arrested him, cost me 800.00 to bail him out of jail, he got community service, a fine and probation, ended up costing me over 2000.00 because he drove to the store in a friends truck :mad: In the past you had to be notified/served that you're drivers license had been suspended before they could arrest you, that has also changed, you no longer have to be notified...

bulletproof1510

The state has now adopted a new law stating that if your license are suspended for minor infractions then you are to surrender them and be served.

WTM45

O.C.G.A. § 48-5-476 (2007)

§ 48-5-476. Collection procedure when taxing county differs from county of purchaser's residence

When a motor vehicle is purchased from a seller who is required to return the motor vehicle for ad valorem taxation in a county other than the county where the purchaser resides, the tax collector or tax commissioner of the county in which the motor vehicle is returned for taxation shall collect the required fee for the registration of the vehicle in addition to the ad valorem taxes due on the vehicle and, at the request of the purchaser, shall transmit the fee, the application for registration, and an appropriate certificate indicating that all ad valorem taxes due on the motor vehicle have been paid to the tax collector or tax commissioner of the county where the purchaser resides. Upon receipt of the fee and documents, the tax collector or tax commissioner of the county where the purchaser resides shall issue the required license plate.

WTM45

HERE IS HOW YOU CAN LEGALLY VOID THE SALES CONTRACT IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO PAY THE OUTSTANDING AD VALOREM TAXES, AND THE SELLER REFUSES TO PAY THEM.

O.C.G.A. § 48-2-61 (2007)

§ 48-2-61. Effect of actions taken to avoid payment of taxes; liability

(a) All deeds of gift, mortgages, sales, transfers of titles to motor vehicles, and assignments of property of any kind made to avoid payment of taxes and all judgments procured for the purpose of avoiding payment of taxes shall be null and void.

(b) The person holding such property or the person to whom such conveyance has been made and the property also, wherever found and no matter in whose possession it may be, shall be liable for taxes.

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
The state has now adopted a new law stating that if your license are suspended for minor infractions then you are to surrender them and be served.

I work with a law enforcement agency... Before, if we were to advise an officer that the driver had not been served, he would at that time be served and surrender his license to the officer, but would not be arrested. Now, it is not required that they be served before they can be arrested... And they are constantly changing laws, it can be difficult to keep up with the changes :confused:

jon c anderson

HERE IS HOW YOU CAN LEGALLY VOID THE SALES CONTRACT IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO PAY THE OUTSTANDING AD VALOREM TAXES, AND THE SELLER REFUSES TO PAY THEM.

O.C.G.A. § 48-2-61 (2007)

§ 48-2-61. Effect of actions taken to avoid payment of taxes; liability

(a) All deeds of gift, mortgages, sales, transfers of titles to motor vehicles, and assignments of property of any kind made to avoid payment of taxes and all judgments procured for the purpose of avoiding payment of taxes shall be null and void.

(b) The person holding such property or the person to whom such conveyance has been made and the property also, wherever found and no matter in whose possession it may be, shall be liable for taxes.

where did you get this info ?

secondseason

Retired Administrator
Wow!! That is a new one on me. I thought that if you didn't have a registration and were not using the vehicle that you didn't have to pay ad v on them.

Wow!!

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
I wonder if you went to the tag office and surrendered the tag if that would prevent ad valorem taxes from accruing?

Killdee

I have a 65 1/2 ton and have parked it for the past few years, I was advised that the ad valorem were still due so Ive kept them paid its only about 25$ on the 65 though.

HUNTIN4LIFE

I work with a law enforcement agency... Before, if we were to advise an officer that the driver had not been served, he would at that time be served and surrender his license to the officer, but would not be arrested. Now, it is not required that they be served before they can be arrested... And they are constantly changing laws, it can be difficult to keep up with the changes :confused:

It has recently been changed again:

The following suspension types require actual notice (a serve date):

•Failure to Appear
•Insurance Cancellation
•Gasoline Drive-off
•Child Support
•Points Accrual
•Serious Violations <21
•Serious School Violations
•Violating License Restrictions

These do not require a serve date:

•DUI
•DUI, ALS
•Homicide by Vehicle
•Hit and Run
•Racing
•Fleeing or Attempting to Elude
• Fraudulent or Fictitious use of or application for a license
Operating a motor vehicle with a
revoked, suspended, or canceled
registration

•Controlled Substance Violations
•Driving While License Suspended
No Insurance

This was changed in the case Fuller v. State and it was decided Jan. 24, 2008 and went into effect Feb. 18, 2008 I believe