Is ag policy dictating our game laws?????

sgsjr

Banned
Is a big insurance company's ag policy dictating our game laws????? Below is an article written by Hubert Bickley and published in the April 2005 issue of Georgia Outdoor Adventures paper. It makes for a sound and awakening read, especilly after reading the DNR's 10 year management plan. Please read it over and take it all in. Pay close attention to items 7, 18, 21, and 32.

I have not read the GFB policy referenced in this article but will request a copy. The author has and stands by this published article. I have obtained written permission from the author to put his article on this board.

Below is the article:

[B]Georgia’s Hunters: Threatened or Endangered Species?[/B]

It is quite obvious at this point in time; that we are in and will remain in an uphill struggle as far as all aspects of hunting is concerned. There is a constant barrage of bills at the federal level and proposed ordinances in many of the cities that would prohibit or severely restrict the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States; the right to keep and bear arms. There are a lot of major cities in the USA that the mere possession of a firearm is viewed as a major crime with mandatory prison time. It is a good idea to check the firearms laws before traveling through another state.
Let’s take a look at what has been going on in hour home state. The population of Georgia has almost doubled in the last 30 years while there has been no increase in the land size. Therefore land prices have increased to meet the expanding population. This is the major reason that so many of the timber companies have began their massive land sales. Regretfully, this trend will continue and there are going to be fewer and fewer places to hunt. It is a lesson of simple economics. The land values have risen to levels that are not economically feasible to retain the land for the production of fiber.
Another alarming statistic is that the number of hunters has actually declined in the past few years. This translates to less political clout at all levels of government. Also, the Pittman-Robinson funds from the federal level are based on the number of license sales for each state. So an increase in the license fees may have a negative result in total funds if the proposed increase causes a reduction in the total number of licenses sold. I keep reading where people want to raise the non-resident license fees. There is a point where the non-residents will go hunt in another state that is more non-resident friendly, or where the DNR-WRD manages the wildlife resources for the hunters and not to benefit the insurance companies, developers, farmers and other special interest groups.
I just finished reading the Georgia Farm Bureau’s 2005 AG POLICY, changes and additions, as approved by their delegates and would like to share some of them with you. Georgia Farm Bureau is in all 159 counties and is probably the most influential player in Georgia politics. The following are statements from Wildlife Management-125 G of their AG POLICY And I quote:

(1) We recommend that the game laws be reassessed to make sure that Georgia wildlife is managed to have limited impact of farmers.
(2) We recommend a lengthened deer-hunting season with more antler-less days and increased overall bag limits, and we encourage hunter/landowner educational program to manage the overpopulated deer herd in Georgia.
(3) We urge the Georgia Department of Natural Resources to seek input from the farm sector in regards to wildlife and hunting regulations, and work with the farmer where there is a problem of crop damage form deer or a need for clarification of hunting regulations.
(7) We recommend legislation to set standards that will establish private property damage, including crop and vehicle, as a primary consideration in wildlife and game management.
(11)Due to inconsistent hunting regulation between arbitrary hunting regions across the state,. We urge the implementation of uniformity in hunting season and hunting laws.
(14) We recommend Georgia Farm Bureau support legislation to be passed which will allow beekeeper the right to selectively harvest nuisance bears, which cannot be controlled by the use of electric fences.
(15) Any federally protected game or other wildlife destroying a crop should be able to be controlled by the landowner without penalties.
(17) As a result of the wildlife which has been released in our state over the past 20 years, (i.e. deer, coyotes, turkeys, and geese) we strongly recommend that a committee be formed of legislators and farmers form all geographic areas of the state. This committee should meet what the Georgia Department of Natural Resources to evaluate the impact that wildlife has on agriculture-specifically in the regard to crop and property losses before the introduction of additional wildlife.
(18) We urge the state legislature and Georgia Department of Natural Resources to study way in which farmers can be compensated for the crop damage done by wildlife.
(19) We recommend the adoption of a lay that would prevent the introduction of new game wildlife into Georgia until the economic impact on the farmers (who usually have to feed this wildlife) is established by farmers, Department of Natural Resources and legislation.
(20) Due to increased crop damages caused by deer and wild hogs, we recommend that the GFB explore the possibilities with the DNR of assessing hunting license or using funds from the Georgia wildlife tags to cost-share a program of building fences around specialty crops such as fruit orchards and nurseries to keep these animals outs.
(32) By law, the Georgia deer population is owned by the state of Georgia. We recommend that the state be liable for the damage to crops and automobiles.

Want to verify or obtain a complete copy of the 2005 Ag. Policy? Call the Georgia Farm Bureau Legislative Department at 1-800-342-1192

By: Hubert Bickley, buau@alltel.net or 770-468-6284, printed in Georgia’s OUTDOOR ADVENTURES, April 2005 Issue. www.teamgoa.com

huntfish

Yads, yada, yada. It should also state:
1) Farmers should be paid more money not to grow crops this year.
2) During periods of drought, farmers should be compensated for loss of crops.
3) Farmers should be compensated just for their lands.
4) Farmers should not have to pay to use waters of the state.

Parker Phoenix

huntfish said:
Yads, yada, yada. It should also state:
1) Farmers should be paid more money not to grow crops this year.
2) During periods of drought, farmers should be compensated for loss of crops.
3) Farmers should be compensated just for their lands.
4) Farmers should not have to pay to use waters of the state.

What's your beef with farmers?

huntfish

Parker Phoenix said:
What's your beef with farmers?
I have no beef with farmers. Until my dad, my whole family was/and still are farming. Seem most of the posted issues (or demands) are extremely one sided.

Parker Phoenix

huntfish said:
I have no beef with farmers. Until my dad, my whole family was/and still are farming. Seem most of the posted issues (or demands) are extremely one sided.
Yes, they lean hard. Almost an ask for the world, get what you can mentality. I do hate to see an insurance carrier have that much pull. Have a good day.

Jeff Phillips

A lot of that reads like they wrote the 10 year plan for the WRD don't you think?

Hunters are being suckered into wiping out our own sports :huh:

I am almost convinced that QDMA is a paid branch of the insurance lobby :(

sgsjr

Banned
Jeff Phillips said:
A lot of that reads like they wrote the 10 year plan for the WRD don't you think?

Hunters are being suckered into wiping out our own sports :huh:

I am almost convinced that QDMA is a paid branch of the insurance lobby :(

You hit the nail on the head with your first line!!!!!!! And, we are letting it happen and even embracing it.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Interesting article.

Bowhunter24

Very interesting article i thought also, but as far as raising deer limmits, i dont think it will work, there are more and more hunters and hunting clubs reducing the amount of does we are shooting on our lands, which i think is good, we hunters are starting to relize what is going on and we are taking it into our own hands to manage the deer, i know on our lease we are only alowing 4 does this year.

bull0ne

Banned
Does anyone think our rates would go down if we cut our deer herd in half? :whip:

So many claims are blamed on deer that the truth is distorted'' i swerved to miss a deer'' sometimes the budweiser ponies are to blame :smash:

JBowers

If I am not mistaken, that listing is from Farm Bureau's policy statement which is published annually in a small booklet/brochure. I've seen it a couple of times. So what? I've even seen a couple from other states. Interestingly, nothing seems to change. Regarding the specific item numbers referenced, you'll find the same wording in Alabama's FB policy, Mississippi's FB policy, and I'll bet pretty much each state in SE. Further, the first time I saw that policy was about 13 years ago in Alabama. I seem to recall the same exact wording then, too!

As for the rumor-based conspiracy theories, some substantial reliable and undeniable facts would be relevant. (their akin to the "flushing the Koran down the toilet" issue).

rip18

Here is my opinion.

I don't think ag policy is dictated our Deer Plan. I know that nobody on the flatwoods committee formally represented that faction. What we as hunters need to realize is that we ARE a minority. What we also need to realize is that farmers are even a SMALLER minority than we are. Most farmers are hunters as well. Many agricultural activities are under as much of an "attack" as some hunting activities. Agricultural land is being developed as fast as forest land - which results in loss of wildlife habitat for us all.

The social issues of deer impacting the non-hunting majority are going to be the primary drive for wildlife decision-making well within the next two decades - if not sooner. We are beginning to see this already. Many non-hunters like to see deer as much as hunters do - until they start eating flowers, eating their gardens, or running into their vehicles. Those are some of the things that are going to drive deer policy much more than a position statement by an agricultural insurance company. The development of deer habitat is going to drive deer policy much more as well.

What we as hunters need to do is realize that we are in the minority and that we always act in ways that show our sport in a good light - even when it is not easy to do so. We need to show that we do "good" things for the environment, that we are not just consumers, but managers of not just deer, but also many non-game critters. We need to realize that other groups have an interest in wildlife, & we need to work with them. We don't need to get "upset" about an agricultural insurance company's policy statement, we need to understand where they are coming from & identify areas where we can work together.

Randy

I have a real problem with this stuff.

First off farming is a job. Something THEY chose to do for a living. I have family that farms but they should have to deal with the same laws of supply and demand that I have to. If I can not find a client that needs a school designed the government does not subsidize my business!

Second, Farmers could make money and reduce their crop depredation problems at the same time by utilizing hunters instead of running them off. I imagine there are a lot of "hunters" that would love to sit over a beekeeper's hives and shoot a bear

JBowers

Randy said:
ISecond, Farmers could make money and reduce their crop depredation problems at the same time by utilizing hunters instead of running them off. I imagine there are a lot of "hunters" that would love to sit over a beekeeper's hives and shoot a bear
Many do. Maybe in some instances its the hunters failing to adequately do their job that the farmer expects for giving them permission to hunt his property or leasing it to them.

Randy

JBowers said:
Many do. Maybe in some instances its the hunters failing to adequately do their job that the farmer expects for giving them permission to hunt his property or leasing it to them.

No dought we are to blame some. But I know farmers here that just will not lease. Maybe they had a bad experience.

sandhill93

I have a small amount of sympathy for farmers, however many farmers also hunt or lease land to hunters, which offsets loss of money and over grazing by deer. The big underlying issue is the car insurance companies. This is the biggest money maker going. They are the richest companies in the country. They have political influence in every state. Auto Insurance is like the gas we pay $2.00 a gallon for, YOU CANT DRIVE WITHOUT IT! I figure the big reason doe harvests have been pushed in GA and every major magazine really has more to do with keeping deer out of car hoods than so called "management".

Lostoutlaw

ouch

:type: Just gonna give me two cents worth :crazy: I agree with Randy and Sandhill...

General Lee

Randy said:
I have a real problem with this stuff.

First off farming is a job. Something THEY chose to do for a living. I have family that farms but they should have to deal with the same laws of supply and demand that I have to. If I can not find a client that needs a school designed the government does not subsidize my business!

Second, Farmers could make money and reduce their crop depredation problems at the same time by utilizing hunters instead of running them off. I imagine there are a lot of "hunters" that would love to sit over a beekeeper's hives and shoot a bear
The farmers have a right to let who they want hunt their property and will never be forced to let a bunch of weekend warriors on their place.....

gacowboy

GONetwork Member
Good point sandhill! The insurance companies and their lobbyists want the population of the deer in GA. reduced dramatically. Yes, we have already seen a considerable change in the population of deer in many areas. Other areas have not been quite impacted as bad yet, but they will be if the DNR keeps the same track that they are on now. Example beginning the season with doe days and making doe days almost the whole season. Increasing the limits on deer ect. Is the info. the DNR gives us valid?? Guys we need to become our own wildlife managers. Kill only what you need for your family. Let's keep our sport great so our kids can enjoy the experiences that we have! :flag:

Timberman

Tell that to somebody who just had over 100 acres of grain sorghum rendered unharvestable by a deer herd way past carrying capacity, which resulted from misguided hunters following an illogical management philosophy. The farmer's only remedy is crop depredation permits which are mostly ineffective, a hassle, and not near the fun some would think. Either that or lease it to a new club, who'll repeat what the last ones did: pass does looking for a buck. I know that farmer quite well. He did choose to farm but he didn't choose having to deal with deer running around like rats on his place and being basically powerless to do anything about it. :(

Regardless of what "conspiracy of the moment" we have to blame for the push to liberalize limits, there are real and valid reasons for it's implementation. Get the herd reduced to where it is within the carrying capacity of the land by which it garners it's living. Don't and run the risk of permanent ecological damage. It is that simple. Accomplish that and car/deer accidents will decrease, farmers will have a better chance to produce crops and we will have larger, healthier deer. Imagine that, a win win!!!! :fine: :cool: :yeah:

All this doom and gloom has me baffled. For the first ttime in forever DNR is being proactive and addressing problems and creating solutions for the betterment of our tradition yet the sky is falling and it's big insurance and the farmers fault! That and the timber companies greedily running up lease costs. :rolleyes: :crazy: