Lithic shark tooth ?

GAnaturalist

I tried to make this piece of novaculite look like an shark's tooth. I have never found a shark's tooth, dang if I can't make one.

.380 for size comparison.

Attachments

• small6.JPG
    small6.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 650

Redbow

Nice point! And yes, it does resemble a Shark's tooth..Nice job knapping it out also! Fortunately I have found a few Shark's teeth on the SC beaches,,and a few here in NC as well. Never any big ones,,but they can be hard to spot in the shell beds!

I have never worked with novaculite,,maybe I outta get a piece or two of it!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nice "meg" tooth!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
After lookin` at that point again, I think it would make a really nice Hillsborough.

GAnaturalist

Thanks guys, I need to get back more into the knapping, and I need to make a nice big ishi stick too. I have so many projects that need to be finished first. I am in the process of turning a buckskin jacket (that is very tight now, I made it when I was 17) into a shooting coat for DCM/CMP high power and the like. I need to sew on big elbow pads, zippers on the sides and down the arm, and five quick release buckles on the front. Stiff leather makes for a good shooting coat. Its OK though, I still have another buckskin shirt that looks more traditional. I will just post some pics on here soon about that stuff.

Can yall guess what fur that is in the background, its not from my bluetick....

CBH

I have a friend who lives in Macon that retired from Freeport Kaolin. He used to have a large collection of shark teeth he found at various sites where they mined Kaolin. At one time, the Atlantic ocean covered middle Georgia.

GAnaturalist

I have a friend who lives in Macon that retired from Freeport Kaolin. He used to have a large collection of shark teeth he found at various sites where they mined Kaolin. At one time, the Atlantic ocean covered middle Georgia.

Yea, I live only a couple of miles from a Kaolin mine, its like I live on a big sand box, sand everywhere, in the house, in my clothes. I must be right on the fall line, a mile northwest of me there is red clay.

Gray fox pelt in the background

Last edited: