Campsite well questions

Big Mike

There is a well at an old house site that I would like to put into service for deer camp this season. The well casing looks to be about four inches. Something above the well was stolen a year or so ago and I can see where electrical wire was clipped. I don't know if the wire was attached to anything above ground other than the power source. I think there may be a submersible motor present. I have no idea what was stolen from the well site or if there was a holding tank. So far the county extension agent hasn't been available and I wanted to get some input before I pay someone to take a look at it. I have attached some photos of the well so one can get an idea of what the setup looks like. I would welcome any advice on putting this back into service. I would like to repair this myself if possible, I just need some direction. Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Camp pump 001.jpg
    Camp pump 001.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 263
  • Camp pump 002.jpg
    Camp pump 002.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 267
  • Camp pump 006.jpg
    Camp pump 006.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

Big Mike

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

mello_collins

Grab the wires with a pair of locking pliers and then remove the cap and pull up gently. Your pump is probably on the other end. Lots of copper wire has been stolen lately for recycling.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yep, you have a submersible pump; like J Ammons said, the pump is threaded onto the end of the pipe. Your best bet is to get someone that knows well pumps and have them come out and run a new wire to the pump and install a pressure tank setup.

Laman

Somebody was setting up a house or trailer and thought you did not need your pressure tank and points box anymore. Happened to us twice and then the pump service man suggested that we paint our name and phone number on the tank, we have never been bothered since.
Forget the county agent and do what Slingblade suggested, if the well has water and the pump is good this is no big deal to get up and running.

Big Mike

Thanks for the input. I have a friend who is an electrician, so he will be able to connect the power. Is the pressure tank something I can install myself?

Gaducker

A tank and a pressure cut off switch is what you need, Yes you can mount that yourself. You will also need to pull the pump up a foot or so to get enough wire to wire back to the pressure cut off switch.

Big Mike

I appreciate all the information. Since I am in uncharted territory here, can anyone post pictures of what the working setup should look like? Pressure tank and all. I'm not familiar with anything but simple irrigation wells without tanks. I'm not completely sure what all the components should look like and how they work together.

Gaducker

If you have a HD or lowes take the pics you put on the top of this thread with you and they can put everything you will need in your buggy and even give you some advice on install in it. Chris

Big Mike

Thanks Ducker!

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
You can also put the pressure tank, control box and pressure switch under the house away from the well so that all you have running between the house and well is the wire and the water pipe, or build a small well house that you can lock to at least discourage and/or slow down the thieves.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
Here is a picture of my well setup, you may or may not need the control box (the box on top of the well casing) depending upon what size pump motor you have.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 140

Big Mike

Thanks Slingblade. The picture speaks volumes!

56willysnut

Should be able to raise the pump piping enough to salvage the wiring and get enough to wire in a junction box for the pump instead of wire replacement (requires well pump to be pulled out.$$$)
Of couse the pump may not even work or pump anymore usually the pump gives out before the motor driving the pump.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
You don't even have to mess with the pipe down to the pump, all you have to do is add a waterproof splice kit to the existing wire. You can get these in the well pump section at Lowe's or Home Depot and most hardware stores around here stock them. To add the splice kit all you have to do is lift the cap off the casing high enough to access the wires where they were cut off and add the splice kit and heat shrink.