PDA

View Full Version : Buckskin and furs.

GAnaturalist
06-12-2008, 02:31 PM
OK, here are some of my buckskin projects.

First one is a buckskin coat tanned with protal. More modern cut. I plan on turning this coat into a high power shooting coat. I will probably be the only one at the matches with a buckskin shooting coat :bounce:

Second one is brain tanned and about 18 years old. More old style.

Third is a otter vest, that I need to re-oil too. Man is it warm under a coat.

FX Jenkins
06-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Very nice "D", I especially like the coat, maybe you could see it fit to write me into you will for that one....

i've been wanting a pair of pants for years...

GAnaturalist
06-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks, neither would probably fit you, what I mean is I made those when I was in my teens, and I was 140lbs. soaking wet. Luckly I made the buckskin shirt a little big, but I made the coat to fit snug back then, that is why I was thinking about turning it into a shooting coat, they should be very snug and tailored just right. I will have to stitch a zipper down the sleeves and on the sides to let it out, and to shoot in the sitting position correctly. I also need lots of padding on the elbows, and a padded shoulder. I will do those pads in buckskin too, but a much darker buckskin, chrome tanned too.

SO much sewing to do.......hahaha

Nicodemus
06-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Mighty nice!

Nugefan
06-13-2008, 08:02 AM
I like the otte vest , and I' ll bet it is warm .....

GAnaturalist
06-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks, I would wear that otter vest on the coldest days, like when my dad would take my brother and I duck hunting. Some of the coldest exposures I have had was while duck hunting, and the vest really did help !

I have been thinking about offering to buy some of the beaver hides that the trappers here get. A lot of guys just throw the hides away because there is not much value in them anymore on the market. I already have four BIG beaver hides that are in rawhide form, and all I need is a few more to make a big winter beaver coat ! That would be awesome and super warm. I am going to wait until the beavers get prime again and maybe offer something like 5-10 dollars for a green hide.