Copperhead

Jody Hawk

Any of y'all ever heard a copperhead referred to as a "High Land Moccasin"? That's what my uncle called them. I was twenty years old before I knew what a copperhead was. How about a "Spreading Adder"? Wasn't this a Hog Nosed Snake?

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
I've also heard

them referred to as an "Upland Moccasin" also:)

CAL

Like you Jody I was up in age before I knew there wasn't such a thing as a highland moc.

Snakeman

Yes, Copperheads are sometimes called highland moccasins. If you ever get a chance to study copperheads and cottonmouth moccasins, you will see several similarities in their appearance.

I've also heard Copperheads referred to as "pilot rattlers".

"Spreadin' adder" is a nickname for the hog nosed snake.

The Snakeman

Last edited:
H

HT2

Wow!!!!!!!!

I didn't know that..........

You fellers are just full of info.

But still..............Them snakes is bad too!!!!!!!! :hair:

CAL

I knew that Snakeman would make an appearance here about those snakes.My hats off to ya cause I am chicken when it comes to a snake!

killNgrill

Me and a friend were fishing the other day, when some plumbers were working at an adjacent pond. The mexicans were beating something in the water with a peice of pvc. Well the guy comes over and asks to borrow a torx bit (and i let him because my friend knows his boss), and we ask what the heck they are beating to death over there. He said "a snake" , i said "oh a cottonmouth?" , he a said " naw a water moccasin".

killNgrill

Lthomas, thanks for clearing that up. For the longest time i thought the two were the same but never could understand why some looked/acted different than others. Good stuff.

Snakeman

Lthomas said:
Cotton Mouth and water moccasin are two different types of snake.

You guys in Ga know of the indigo as the common black snake.

I have read several books about snakes, and never have I seen anything listed as a "moccasin" except the cottonmouth moccasin. Non-venemous species are always listed as "water snakes".

There's a big difference between an indigo snake and the "common black snake". What we call a black snake is usually a black racer, or further north (in Georgia), a black rat snake.

Leo's links give good information about copperheads and cottonmouths.

The Snakeman

Snakeman

Here's a link to the UGA website for reptiles and amphibians. It's pretty cool. You can run the cursor over the snakes names and it pulls up a picture of most of the snakes. You can also link to turtles, lizards and alligators.

UGA Snakes

The Snakeman

Mossy0ak270

Daddy calls copperheads "Highland Moccasins" Reckon where that name came from? Jody you think its just a Monroe thing; where we come from? :bounce:

Last edited:

Lawnmowerman

There are more ppl. killed each year by lightning than by snakes. Unless you almost literally step on one, he'll be getting out of your way much quicker than you can get out of their way. I used to raise snakes, really love the lil fellers.. :flag: I've had everything from copperheads to hog-nosed snakes, to a pair of Pythons,, ;) Snakes are really cool critters, if you give them the chance. :cool:

JoeBanker

Banned
I don't know about feeding him a paddle but if that thing slid down in my boat, Id be sinking from all the bullet holes I just shot in the bottom.

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Lthomas said:
Yea those are some pretty good reads. I would like to point out that I have seen reptile displays here in fla. Gator land, Silver springs, etc... They both have the all the venimous snakes of Fla. Two of which are Cotton mouth. and the Moccasin. Wheather they are a sub species of the same I have no idea. All I know is I they both look like two totaly different species. A moccasin looks like a darker colored copperhead. I would assume they are closely related. I am no herpetologist or by any means expert. However I do give credit to those that handle and explain the features of these snakes while on display. I would assume that they have a pretty good idea of what they are talking about. Copperhead, Cottonmouth, or moccasin. The only good ones are either on display or dead. Other than that I try to keep my distance. :cheers:

The Cottonmouth and Water Moccasin are the same species under differen't names.The confusion could be from the fact that there are Western, Eastern and Florida sub-species of the Cottonmouth/Moccasin. The adults have many color variations and some do resemble the Copperhead. The Rattler, Copperhead and Cottonmouth/Water Moccasin are all pit vipers and therefore resemble one another to a great degree.

I have a pond in my back yard and the other day a neihbor was "killin a Moccasin"...turned out to be a Red Bellied Water Snake....If you are above Atlanta there is a very slim chance that you will encounter a Cottonmouth.

Last edited:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
My grandmother's cats use to bring Highland Moccassions up on her back porch all the time.

She lived on E. Marable St. in Monroe.

DaveH1

GONetwork Member
Red Bellied Water Snake photo

Attached is photo of a Red Bellied Water Snake from near Dacula a few months ago.

Some of you have already seen this photo before on the GONetwork site.

It flattened out most of its body when I poked at it (in teh name of science...). Struck once, then crawled away slowly. The water snakes I've seen usually head for cover in a hurry...

File size was too large to post for the first photo I took. The snake was skinny in that photo. In Snake1, it has puffed up and flattened out, to look more like a water moccasin.

Neither photo shows the red belly very well...

dave horton

Attachments

• Snake1.JPG
    Snake1.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 698

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
DaveH1 said:
Attached is photo of a Red Bellied Water Snake from near Dacula a few months ago.

Some of you have already seen this photo before on the GONetwork site.

It flattened out most of its body when I poked at it (in teh name of science...). Struck once, then crawled away slowly. The water snakes I've seen usually head for cover in a hurry...

File size was too large to post for the first photo I took. The snake was skinny in that photo. In Snake1, it has puffed up and flattened out, to look more like a water moccasin.

Neither photo shows the red belly very well...

dave horton

Dave,

You don't happen to live near Bailey Rd. in Dacula do you? My pond is in that area and we have quite a few Red Bellied Water Snakes here.