computer problem..please help

boohoo222

GONetwork member
here is the problems, 3 entries of this

showbehind: [sbi $5fcef006] ie search page (registry change, nothing done) HKEY_USERSS-1-5-21-2127296950-2176775180-29117-83671-1003\software\microsoft\internet explorer\main\search page=about:blank

my cleaners say they delete them but they dont

HELP PLEASE

boohoo222

GONetwork member
cant ignore, it messing up comp, changing sites, trying to change homepage, locking up comp, etc.

tv_racin_fan

When you delete them do you immediately shutdown??

What cleaners are you using??

I tried to google showbehind: [sbi $5fcef006] and got nothing of use. It may be that it is something very new and not enough people have been nabbed so it isn't in the databases of most cleaners etc.

Diagnosing computer issues over the internet is very very difficult in the best of times. I haven't a clue which cleaners you are using and what you are seeing or doing beyond what you say and sometimes people are not good at telling EXACTLY what they see or do or following EXACTLY instructions given. AND the fact is I am no tech expert. You might contact the website of your cleaners or make sure they are updated or try another one or two. I think some good ones are posted in a sticky on this site.

polaris30144

Try this, go into control panel, open system, open restore and un check ....in other words disable restore. Close all of this and run your cleaners. Make sure you are not connected to the internet via wire or wireless. The problem with XP is a virus or trojan gets on your computer and after you clean the system it is still embedded in the restore cache. The second problem is never use internet explorer as your browser, it has many vulnerabilities that are exploited daily by bad code. Download firefox and use a cleaner called Spybot search and destroy. Be careful because there are some trojans that are called very similar names. After you do all of this, shut down and restart the computer. Make sure your firewall is active and never use any Norton products. The best antivirus is AVG free edition. http://free.grisoft.com/
http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html

Good luck. After everything is running again go back and start restore monitoring again.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

boohoo222

GONetwork member
thanks, i did what you said i have avg, and spybot, spybot said it deleated it , ran spybot again and its still there,.....im lost

jason4445

Sounds like you have a hijacker and if it is "about blank" its a big problem. And with the more recent browser hijackers they are in the registry and a restore will not get rid of them. Try to figure out what one you have and do a google on how to get rid of it.

One thing to try is search and find a program called "hijack this" and use it sometimes that works.

boohoo222

GONetwork member
Sounds like you have a hijacker and if it is "about blank" its a big problem. And with the more recent browser hijackers they are in the registry and a restore will not get rid of them. Try to figure out what one you have and do a google on how to get rid of it.

One thing to try is search and find a program called "hijack this" and use it sometimes that works.
i have done all this , nothing works to get rid of it that i can find, thanks
.....i also tryed everything about showbehind and no luck

AccUbonD

Write down the files and location.Then shut down system and restart in safe mode and delete them in safe mode.Also delete temp files in safe mode.If that don't work start going back on dates in system restore.

BPR

Make sure that you have updated Spybot and done an immunize lately.

Those are the two that I am using. I've always had good results from Spybot.

I'd make sure that you have things backuped in case it gets worse.

jason4445

If it is the really bad about blank sometimes you can't get rid of it. It hides in every program, all over the registry, and everywhere in between. The only cure is to wipe the hard drive and reinstall your operating system. And unless you have backed up you also loose everything.