Black Powder Pistol Load - Recomendations

Marlin_444

Looking for some advice on loads for my new to me '75 Ruger Old Army.

The BP Revolvers I have owned and shot in the past were Remington 1858's and Colt 1851's using -

1. 30 Grain Pyrodex Pellet
2. Wonder Wad
3. .454 Hornady Lead Ball
4. Top dressed with Bore Butter

Can I and or should I go hotter (powder 40 plus or minus), or Conicals (Buffalo Bore)???

Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

Ron

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
I have an 1858 Remington Repro. and I use 35 grains of FFFg, a lubed wad and either a .454 Hornady round ball or a .44 cal conical. Both shoot very well. If you are using a wad, you don't need to use the bore butter on top of the balls.

Marlin_444

BP Revolver Loads

I have an 1858 Remington Repro. and I use 35 grains of FFFg, a lubed wad and either a .454 Hornady round ball or a .44 cal conical. Both shoot very well. If you are using a wad, you don't need to use the bore butter on top of the balls.

Thanks HandgunHTR!

Ron

Tulip

Had a friend who use to have a Ruger BP pistol. Those things are fun to shoot. Dont know how much powder in grains we were loading in that thing but we loaded so much powder in that pistol that the lead ball was sticking out past the cylinder. It was not allowing the cylinder to rotate. Had to shave some of the ball off with a knife blade. That thing sure made some smoke when we lit it off. I tell you Ruger makes some STRONG firearms. You kinda do some stupid things when your young.

tv_racin_fan

According to the manual, it is safe to use as much powder as the cylinder will hold and leave room for the bullet. It also says you can use any gradiation of black powder Fg to FFFFg with FFFg being the preferred. It says it is designed to use a 457 round ball or a 454 conical bullet of pure lead. It reccomends a starting load of 20 grains FFFg and enough corn meal to bring the bullet up to 1/16th of the mouth. Says anything over 1/2 full you don't need filler.

By the way if you don't have the manual you can download it.

As far as what is going to be most accurate, well that's up to your individual gun I imagine.

Marlin_444

BP Revolver Loads

Thanks for evefyones input...

I am prolly gonna try conocals!

Ron

Cknerr

loads

Covering the bullets with some grease, Bore Butter, Crisco is a suggestion that should be strongly remembered. If not, the first time you cross-fire,,,welllll you'll remember it from then on. Cross-firing is when fire seems to magically jump from hole to hole in your cylinder. Pull the trigger once and 3 or 4 rounds go off.....hehehe, not the most pleasant thing to happen. There are those that have gone through it, and then there are the people who WILL go through it. All part of the excitement. BTW, doubt you will get hurt, just have to change your shorts.

I remember using a 45 ACP cartridge to measure powder. You can file it down or mound it over to change loads. If you have a long gun, you already have a measure? He is right in saying the excess just gets blown out the end of the barrel. Makes for some spectacular pyrotechnics. The boom off that thing will also turn heads. Folks stop shooting and look over to where all the smoke is and what in blue blazes are you shooting. hehehe, when you pull your hand out of the smoke ball surrounding the gun... ahhhh, doesn't get any better. Flame comes out the muzzle and just about as much between the cylinder and barrel. Add to that that not having the shock of a big caliber smokeless....oh boy! Big boom, lotsa smoke.....could make a grown man cry with happiness. (jeez, am I easy to please?)

have fun,
Chris

Marlin_444

Covering the bullets with some grease, Bore Butter, Crisco is a suggestion that should be strongly remembered. If not, the first time you cross-fire,,,welllll you'll remember it from then on. Cross-firing is when fire seems to magically jump from hole to hole in your cylinder. Pull the trigger once and 3 or 4 rounds go off.....hehehe, not the most pleasant thing to happen. There are those that have gone through it, and then there are the people who WILL go through it. All part of the excitement. BTW, doubt you will get hurt, just have to change your shorts.

I remember using a 45 ACP cartridge to measure powder. You can file it down or mound it over to change loads. If you have a long gun, you already have a measure? He is right in saying the excess just gets blown out the end of the barrel. Makes for some spectacular pyrotechnics. The boom off that thing will also turn heads. Folks stop shooting and look over to where all the smoke is and what in blue blazes are you shooting. hehehe, when you pull your hand out of the smoke ball surrounding the gun... ahhhh, doesn't get any better. Flame comes out the muzzle and just about as much between the cylinder and barrel. Add to that that not having the shock of a big caliber smokeless....oh boy! Big boom, lotsa smoke.....could make a grown man cry with happiness. (jeez, am I easy to please?)

have fun,
Chris

Hey Chris:

"Chain Fire" is the reason why I double up (Belts and Suspenders) approach - Powder/Wonder Wad/Ball/Bore Butter...

Never happens with this approach... Think I'll stick with it!

Ron

pnome

Looking for some advice on loads for my new to me '75 Ruger Old Army.

The BP Revolvers I have owned and shot in the past were Remington 1858's and Colt 1851's using -

1. 30 Grain Pyrodex Pellet
2. Wonder Wad
3. .454 Hornady Lead Ball

That's what I use.

Cknerr

Ron,

hehe, sounds like you have been there done that?

I'll have to remember that saying "belt and suspenders", good one.

Chris

Marlin_444

Hey Pnome:

Add a slather of Grease (Lard or Bore Butter) to double up... Good to know others are using that same load!

Chris,

I look kinda buttoned up with the belt and suspenders, but heck my pants only come off when I want them to :)

tv_racin_fan

I'm one of those that lived thru the chain fire deal. Scared me enough I will never ever forget the crisco or wonder wads. I may not double up BUT I will use one or the other for sure.

I also ruined that brass framed navy by loading it to the max every time. Pulled the pin out of the frame far enough that I had an 1/8 inch play.

hunter54l

I have a blued Ruger I bought in 1984 new. Hunted with it every year. I shoot a .457 ball, 45 grains of pistol powder, wonder wad. It will shoot a 3 inch group 6 shots at 25 yards. Last year I retired my pistol, bought me a 1985 never fired Stainless Model. My first pistol needed nothing tweaked, shot straight from the box. My new one I spent an afternoon on the range getting the sights set. 7 does and 3 bucks taken with ole blue. Still waiting to draw blood with the new pistol. I also have started using the pistol powder in my rifle, shoots great and keeps me from carrying 2 different powders. As far as the chain fire, never happens with a Ruger using the .457 ball. The ball sets so tight a small ring of lead gets shaved everytime, no need for messy grease ... but like I said .. I use wonder wads, but just because they seem to make my pistol shoot better groups. Furtherest shot on a deer, 35 yards and he fell after about 10 yards. You will love your gun.

Marlin_444

I have a blued Ruger I bought in 1984 new. Hunted with it every year. I shoot a .457 ball, 45 grains of pistol powder, wonder wad. It will shoot a 3 inch group 6 shots at 25 yards. Last year I retired my pistol, bought me a 1985 never fired Stainless Model. My first pistol needed nothing tweaked, shot straight from the box. My new one I spent an afternoon on the range getting the sights set. 7 does and 3 bucks taken with ole blue. Still waiting to draw blood with the new pistol. I also have started using the pistol powder in my rifle, shoots great and keeps me from carrying 2 different powders. As far as the chain fire, never happens with a Ruger using the .457 ball. The ball sets so tight a small ring of lead gets shaved everytime, no need for messy grease ... but like I said .. I use wonder wads, but just because they seem to make my pistol shoot better groups. Furtherest shot on a deer, 35 yards and he fell after about 10 yards. You will love your gun.

Thanks hunter54l,

It is suppose to be in my hands on Tuesday and all of the other advice I have gotten has set my view of the ROA as a "top of the line" BP Revolver!

Any experience with conversion cylinders for .45 LC Cowboy loads???

Ron