Tree ID

Smokey

What kind of tree is this? All 3 pictures are of the same tree.

Thanks

Attachments

• ND Quarter 006.jpg
    ND Quarter 006.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 990
  • ND Quarter 008.jpg
    ND Quarter 008.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 799
  • ND Quarter 009.jpg
    ND Quarter 009.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 878

Rich Kaminski

It looks like a cherry tree, but I have never seen cherry stems that fat befor. So, it might be some kind of hybred.

SGADawg

Definitely Black Cherry. If limbs break off (they are brittle) don't let the horses eat wilted leaves or the fruit. They develop a toxin that is harmful to livestock.

jkoch

Gone But Not Forgotten
Black Cherry, I have one in my back yard.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Birds like the cherries, especially after they ferment somewhat. Ever see a drunk robin??

Bears like em' too. They will strip all the limbs off the tree in the process. Takes quite a bunch of cherries to fill up a bear.

Smokey

Thanks for the help.
I can tell ya, that the deer around here like the little cherries.

GAnaturalist

The seed, like other member of the Prunus gensis, contain cynaide poison in very small amounts. The inner bark as well. My grandmother made cough syrup out of the inner bark, so I think the cynaide must be in small trace amounts. We all have tiny amounts of cynaide in us anyway.

Smokey

Yep, not much meat on em, but edible. Spit out the big seed.

Well if they are edible it would take lots of'em to even get a taste. The fruit is about the size of a pencil eraser.

Doug B.

We call them wild cherrys. I have a friend with a sawmill and I got him to saw a large one into lumber for me. I made a nightstand out of it with the legs out of mountain laurel. The lumber was about the hardest I had ever worked with.