Bucks in the Swamps

zksailfish

I have a question for the more senior hunters.I am on a lease in Polk county Florida that has 6 members on 3,000 acres. I am the last member on the lease and it seems like everyone already has all of the good spots taken with tree stands on the lease. I found that most of the hunters are not going back in the swamp. The water is about need deep and I have seen some past scrapes on some trees from last season. What has been your experience killing large deers back in the swamp and do the deer mind the high water??

Thanks
Zak

TJay

I don't think they mind the water that much, and will use it especially when hunting pressure starts building. As long as there is some dry ground, cover and maybe an acorn tree or two they will be there.

broadhead

One parcel of our lease has cypress bottoms running through it. Sometimes they fill with water any where from six inches to knee deep. The deer do not seem to notice it. They just wade right through the water, It is really strange to hear them coming.
The water does make blood trailing challenging. :D

SADDADDY

Zak - good question

I've harvested a good number of deer off the beat'n path in some most god awful swamps you ever been in, I have watched gators and deer swim past my stand, knocked cottonmouths off of my ladder stands etc... I seen it all :D

but one of the biggest deer I've killed and seen have been back in the middle of a swamp, deer do not mind the water one bit, I have seen them in neck deep water on the river eating at night.

I would try to find a good trail entering and exiting the swamp, a great time to find the trails is when it is dry (which right now nothing is dry) but after location these trails I would setup about 40-60yrds from the edge back in the swamp, you may get some wet feet but it pays off.

another big plus would be if you could locate a small island in the middle of the swamp or a slight rise where the deer will rest up during the mid-day, if you can locate one of these you have got yourself a honeyhole for sure.
only problem with an island in the middle of the swamp is you have to get in there real early and stay all day, but it pays off.

good luck, and you'll have some good luck back where know one goes, the deer know where people don't want to travel ;)

H

HT2

"Z"............

Wow 3,000 acres and only "9" people........

They might think they have all the good spots, but I believe I'd do as you said and I'd give that "swamp" a shot.....

Big Bucks along with other deer like "swamps"......

Give it a shot..... :clap:

Junebug

Zak,
This may sound a little wierd, but try to find a beaver dam...they'll cross near it where the water is just a trickle. Sometimes they'll even walk it if it's solid enough. Also alot of time acorns will be piled up where the most recent high water mark was.

We have 2 spots like this on the homeplace that are ALWAYS tracked up; especially when the creek gets out. They'll go the LONG way around to cross there if nothing is after 'em.

'Bug

bilgerat

Senior
any high spot

bucks take reffuge in swamps to avoid hunting pressure. find a high thick spot that stays dry as far back in the swamp as you can get and hunt it.

camotoy

Like Junebug Said

if the soil around the swamp is really mucky the deer will find a beaver dam to cross, i killed a nice 8 pointer crossind a dam to a island way back in the swamp,but getting them out of the swamp is when the fun starts!!! :eek:

Havana Dude

You will

have the best stands on the place. I love hunting the edge of a swamp leading to planted pines or a hardwood ridge, especially if it is between a known bedding area or food source. You are a lucky man. Let them other fellers take all the stands that are "easy" to get to, and you go and kill a big buck back in the swamp. Let us know and post pics of that monster.

gordylew

Go get a topo map and find some high ground and dont tell em where your hunting, because if you cut a trail "they will come" and follow you. I know from experience. They don't hunt the swamp because they're lazy.

Timberman

FWIW, a friend of mine went duck hunting up here on National Forest land last January and when it got daylight he saw a really nice 9 point laying on a tussock. They sorta eyeballed each other and the buck got up and waded off. he said it was one of the nicest deer he'd ever seen in SC and he has a very nice trophy wall. Big enough he's gonna wait till later this year and go back and try for him.

I have no advice but I believe really big bucks like those places. :)

Last edited:

short stop

sr. corn dawg :bounce: a friend a myself once tried to catch a buck in the swamps up the apalachee river on lake OCONEE. uh--- BIG MISTAKE , 2 beat up country boys and 1 real mad still LIVING to this day deer :speechles SS

SADDADDY

500ac per member

but that is strange that all you get is the swamp ::huh: , but I wouldn't trade anyone for higher ground, I would take a swamp anyday.

yeah, like someone said, I would get a topo map and find those high spots in the swamp, they maybe only a little rise in the terrain but boy they are a magnet, right now would be a goodtime to scout every bit of that swamp and look for those little changes in terrain, the slightest evlevation change can be the spot, got to study the ground and look for those little features, Palmetto's in the middle of a swamp for example is a clue that the ground is a little higher or a pine thicket, we tend to look up in the trees for the best spot to put a stand, and not so much what we are standing on.

good luck ;)

Thunder

From experience, swamps hold some of the bigger bucks, especially when the presure gets heavy. Find trails leading into the swamp and go in maybe 100 yards, look for higher ground and you will be set. :cool: If the other club members stay away from that area, even better.....the bucks will feel safe for sure not being pushed or boogered. :D

Good luck!

cowboyron

I like a cypress swamp them thangs are like a magnet with me. One of the things you will like hunt'un the swamp is .........when you hear that.....splish , splash......splish , splash get yourself ready the party is about to begin. I like when you can hear'um come'un through that water. :bounce:

Listen to Saddaddy...

A Swamp buck is worth the effort...

Deer don't mind water at all!

There are bucks on the hill, but the old bucks that don't want to be messed with are back in the swamp...

I've known them to bed up on a log, because there wasn't any "hill" in there...

Another thing... Don't talk about where you go or what you see...

You don't want company...

Latest posts