Makin' pitch glue... and hafting.

Handgunner

I've talked with Nicodemus for a while on how to make this stuff and he's been more than helpful, but as a visual aid, I done some looking around.

Found this link very helpful, maybe y'all will as well.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g4RgBsHABLo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g4RgBsHABLo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And then hafting the point ...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3xlaxd6px_0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3xlaxd6px_0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Handgunner

Well, I got my material gathered. Living in the "Land of a million pines", the pitch was easy to find. :bounce:

The antler tine is what I'll roll my pitch glue onto..

Attachments

• P7061535 (640 x 480).jpg
    P7061535 (640 x 480).jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 389

bam_bam

Yeah thats a good one. Thats Tom Mills from Paleo Planet message board (I think he is a founder of it) he has a good you tube video on a selfbow with just stone tools also.

Handgunner

Got the glue all done... that stuff is some more HAWT when it sticks to your fingers! :rofl: There ain't no wiping it off... just let it sit and burn until it cools off! :bounce:

Got the blade hafted and wrapped. It's drying now. I'll post an after picture when dry....

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Well now, ain`t that neat!! I can`t hear it, but that`s how I do it. Did he mention to use charcoal from softwoods? It`s much easier to grind into a powder than charcoal from hardwoods.

How bout postin` us a pic!!

Handgunner

Here she is...

Attachments

• P7061540 (640 x 480).jpg
    P7061540 (640 x 480).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 376
  • P7061541 (640 x 480).jpg
    P7061541 (640 x 480).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 373

Handgunner

Here is my glob of glue. It's a bit chunky, but dries hard as a rock.. Did I not grind my charcoal enough? I thought I had ground up pretty fine... finer than cornmeal. Should I have added more rosin?

Attachments

• P7061544 (640 x 480).jpg
    P7061544 (640 x 480).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 361

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The hafted knife looks great, really fine! I`m proud of you!

The charcoal needs to be ground as fine as you can grind it. As fine as baby powder, or finer. I`ve started usin` 3 parts pitch to 1 part powdered charcoal. I like that ration better than 50-50 mix.

Handgunner

Thanks y'all.

Nick, this current glob is hard, but can be carved and shaped with a knife. Is that about right? Kinda brittle, but still hard enough to hold everything. Should the pitch glue still be sort of sticky when it dries?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Mine is fairly brittle, but it is strong. It can`t be carved with a knife though. It`s not sticky either.

What was the ratio you mixed it?

GAnaturalist

Tom Brown Jr. said that he uses white ashes from the fire, and a girl that worked at his school said to try ground up egg shells.

Guess I should cook some too, there is plenty around my house.

Nice knife too! looks like cooked Novaculite.

Handgunner

Tom Brown Jr. said that he uses white ashes from the fire, and a girl that worked at his school said to try ground up egg shells.

Guess I should cook some too, there is plenty around my house.

Nice knife too! looks like cooked Novaculite.
Not sure about it being cooked, but it is novaculite...

deersled

could you use this stuff to glue wingbone/cane yelpers?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
could you use this stuff to glue wingbone/cane yelpers?

Yes. A good friend of mine, Ben Kirkland, made me a rivercane yelper that is held together with pitch glue.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Nice knife!
I bought some hafting material from an Indian Supply website for a project (I need to start) and ordered some natural glue made from deer (stuff:confused: ) and I have not mixed / heated it up yet, but it smells STRONG just in the plastic bag:hair: ....that may be a good outdoor fall/winter project:bounce:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Dawg. might be in your best interests to mix hoof and hide glue outside.

This is experience talkin`!

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Dawg. might be in your best interests to mix hoof and hide glue outside.

This is experience talkin`!

Based on what it smells like dry, I believe you!

Handgunner

Based on what it smells like dry, I believe you!
Yeah, Nick told me the same thing when making hoof glue from pectin..... OUTSIDE... unless you want in the dog house with the wife.. :bounce: