Hawgs....

ufg8r93

Well, I was down with my brother for the second time in two years hunting hogs during the summer with my bow. Last year I shot a 75-lber, got a clean pass thru and we didn't find him. He laid down, we jumped him, and he doubled back and lost us. We looked for over two hours and couldn't find him. The buzzards found him a few days later.

Fast forward to this year. Hogs were patterned perfectly by my brother. He and a friend of his have shot at two hogs already this summer and missed one. The second hog he shot ran off with the arrow sticking out of his front shoulder (he thinks the little boar would go about 100 lbs). Never found him. Got a game cam pic of him over a week later with the arrow still sticking out of his shoulder.

So, we're set up and hogs come out like clockwork. I select a big spotted sow (there are five hogs in total, but the sow's the biggest). I wait for a good shot and let it fly. We have the whole thing on video and it looks like a good shot except that the arrow didn't penetrate as well as I'd like (big toebig toebig toebig toe expandables - I'm going back to Muzzys). We give her a few minutes and start off after her. She spraying blood everywhere for about 300 yards. We track her for over 700 yards thru a swamp and across a road and lose the trail. I'm so dang frustrated I could break somethin'. Two years, two good shots, no recovered hogs. Arrgghhh! :banginghe :banginghe :banginghe :cry:

GeauxLSU

Hey g8r,
Glad you got out and got on some game.
Can I make a suggestion?.... Use a GUN!!! :shoot: :p
Store bought sausage for you!! :whip:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

ufg8r93

No kiddin'

GeauxLSU said:
Hey g8r,
Glad you got out and got on some game.
Can I make a suggestion?.... Use a GUN!!! :shoot: :p
Store bought sausage for you!! :whip:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

I almost took the 41 Mag but I still haven't harvested anything (that I found) with my bow. I was really frustrated. The only thing worse than missin' is hittin' and not findin'....

I'm pretty tore up... :(

We did catch a few fish the day after. Well, my bro did anyway. I was just there for comic relief... :eek:

bull0ne

Banned
ufg8r93 said:
the arrow didn't penetrate as well as I'd like (big toebig toebig toebig toe expandables - I'm going back to Muzzys). QUOTE]

Wise choice on the muzzy's, sounds like penetration is your problem.

Pound for pound hogs are tougher to stop IMO.

ufg8r93

Follow up...

My bro has game cam pics of the sow feeding two weeks after I shot her. I hit her too far forward and in the shoulder. Tough animals, those hogs. Don't know why I can't make myself aim far enough back on 'em.... :huh:

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I found out the hard way that hogs have a very small kill zone when using a bow. i lost the first 3 i shot. you have to shoot them right thru the meaty part of the shoulder when braoside. A quarting away shot is best. just draw a line between the 2 legs and let em have it. A quality braod head like the muzzys should fix your problems.

pitbull

Next time put a dog on him. He probaly ain't far just not seeing him.
I hate that. I go get a dog and it finds him in a couple minutes in a spot I have passed a hundred times. :bounce:

Gadget

ufg8r93 said:
We give her a few minutes and start off after her. :banginghe :banginghe :cry:
Sorry to hear about your luck........

You say she's still alive so it wouldn't matter in this situation, but going after any animal only minutes after you shoot it with a bow is not a good idea unless you watch it go down.