What kind of Space Bug is this?

pnome

Ran into this guy while out scouting this past weekend. Can any of you experts tell me what kind of bug it is? It looks like something out of Sci-fi movie.
DSC02891.jpg

rip18

Wheel bug - "assassin of the insect world" (aka as assassin bug) - a true bug that can bite the snot out of you!

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Wheel bug - "assassin of the insect world" (aka as assassin bug) - a true bug that can bite the snot out of you!

Yep. They pack a PAINFUL bite, not one to handle. They fly pretty good too:hair:

If you follow the antennaes back to its thin head, it has a "beak" that looks like another leg. That is what you watch out for, its like a needle

rip18

You generally have to aggravate them to get them to bite you. What they really do is pierce you with that long proboscis folded up under his head (they use it to suck the innards out of bugs they catch). Their aquatic relative the giant water bug will do the same thing (and they are often found on tennis courts after being attracted to the lights at night).

GAranger1403

Good ole assasin bug, I got bit by one when I was little at dairy queen in Waycross GA. I had already caught it several times, but the last time it nailed me right between my fingers. I still remember it well, hurt like @%*&!!