Looking for a big discount on a new car/truck

GeauxLSU

OK, I admit I hate to bring this up in light of the recent threads as this may be dismissed as biased, but I went to a dealership to drop a friend's car off at lunch for an oil change (company car). Anyway, it was a Pontiac/GMC/Buick dealer and they (and I guess all GM dealerships) are having a 'employee discount' sale. Now I generally ignore that stuff as nonsense and when you get there the sale is never really a sale, but I gotta' say, the discounts on some vehciles were HUGE! Several $7,000-$10,000 off sticker. Thousands below the (meaningless) oft quoted invoice. And if ONE model was marked down they ALL were marked down similarly! Almost made me wish I was in the market. Anyway, if you are, it's at least worth a look or call I'd think. Too bad none of the those three badges have anything I'm interested in right now (fortunately I don't need a payment either). I'll do avoid the Chevy lots. :hair:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Craig Knight

Big discounts

Thats exactly why I thought it was a good time to get back into a new Chevy. Man they do have some good deals, from what I saw the last couple of days I was looking.

redlevel

Report says automaker to extend its company discount program to the general public in June.
June 1, 2005: 10:03 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - General Motors could raise the incentive to the general public in line with the discounts it offers its own employees, according to a published report.

The discounts GM is offering in June are due to be released Wednesday. The Detroit Free Press reported recently that due to continued weak sales and growing dealer inventories, the savings offers will match what GM already offers its own employees.

GM employee discounts vary by the model, but can range from 3 to 4 percent below invoice price, according to the Wall Street Journal. That would mean thousands more in savings for buyers beyond current incentives.

GM has seen falling sales and market share in recent months. Especially since Sept. 11, it has been a leader in offering attractive incentives, such as zero-interest financing and other cash-back offers, as a way of supporting sales.

But those discounts have cut into margins on the most profitable vehicles, leaving the world's No. 1 automaker to report a steep loss in the first quarter.

From CNN/Money

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
maybe they oughta paint some pink ones?

Woody52

That's right fellas! GM employees receive 10-15% off MSRP in ADDITION to rebates, allowances, and incentives. Now's the perfect time to get into a new hunting/fishing buggy. To give you an idea, I bought my Z71 Tahoe on my Father's discount a few months ago and walked out with a $48,000 vehicle for under $34,000. I know that ford can't match that. Can't beat it!

"If 'ya got it, flaunt it. If 'ya don't, finance it!

Snakeman

redlevel said:
GM has seen falling sales and market share in recent months.

But those discounts have cut into margins on the most profitable vehicles, leaving the world's No. 1 automaker to report a steep loss in the first quarter.
Wonder why GM is having trouble selling their automobiles?

And I wonder if they'll be the next corporation to file for bankruptcy?

The Snakeman

GeauxLSU

Snakeman said:
Wonder why GM is having trouble selling their automobiles?

And I wonder if they'll be the next corporation to file for bankruptcy?

The Snakeman
Same reason Ford's profits fell by 38% last quarter on flat revenue? They're all hurting. Ford & GM for the last year http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=1y&s=GM&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=f Let these gas prices stay over $2 for a long while and watch the manufacturers of big vehicles continue to suffer. Does not bode well for American manufacturers.
Glad I've got a 3 mile commute....
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil