Lumpkin Report

Lumpkin Hunter

Opening week I saw deer every day I went which was Mon, Tues and Wed.
Last week I hunted Thurs and Friday did not see a thing. A friend of mine went with me Thurs and saw 3 with no shot given.
Just got back in from my morning hunt today. Saw a doe and fawn as I was easing out of the woods. I found a few fresh rubs. These are the first I have see this year. This morning I was in my stand at 6:50 am. I was sitting there think about what the morning may bring when a slight breeze goes across the back of my neck. Suddenly a deer blows down wind of me. I sit there straining to see the ground when I hear the deer walking up to me. I have some new scent out that I wanted to try and I believe that is what the deer was blowing at. I take alot of precautions to keep my scent down and don't believe it smelled me. This deer walks up to with in 15 yrds of my stand going back and forth. I can't make out it's outline since it is so dark even with the bright moon. It is fairly thick. Finally it walks off and gets about 100 yrds and blows again. I didn't see anything on stand, but that was enough to get my heart a pumping.
Saw 2 yesterday in same location a small buck and an unknown. Will let the stand rest until next week and hunt a different spot in the am.
The moon has the morning movement slow even the squirrels wait until about 9am before feeding hard.

Hunt hard, hunt safe and God bless.