What kind of stone is this?

Cleankill47

This knife was owned by my uncle before he passed away. This is the only picture I have of it right now, and I can't get any more, because it's in Colorado. Just found the pic on my computer again and thought I'd ask the experts....

And the stone was hafted with pitch and wrapped with elk sinew.

DSCF2412.jpg

60Grit

I can't help you with any of your questions, but just had to comment on how awesome the carving of the horse on the antler handle was.

That is a great piece of work you have there.

Redbow

I wish I could identify the stone also but I can't ! A lot of folks on here are more highly educated in that than I am,, they will chime in for sure!

I just wanted to comment on the knife and the handle,,whoever made it has a load of talent far beyond my capabilities, its beautiful ! I know your Uncle was proud of it!

Last edited:

bam_bam

Where did your uncle live? Or should I say do you know where he got the knife from?

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
That's nice!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That`s a very nice replicated Dovetail blade. I`m in agreement with Bam Bam, it looks like Texas, Edwards Plateau Chert. That handle is nice, wish I could scrimshaw.

Cleankill47

He lived in Walsenburg, CO. I don't know where he got it, but thanks you guys. Maybe I'll get into this whole knappin' thing myself.. I have a big boulder of some kind of flint in my backyard, just never thought of doing anything with it...