Big Freshwater Clam

F-150

My buddy snagged this with a rooster tail Friday morning. I've seen quarter sized ones before but this one was giant.
351im90.jpg

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
When they let Lake Harding down we find those. I always throw them back in the lake. Nice PIC!

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
mother of all Catfish baits!

Redbow

That is a big mussel, wow! I have always heard if mussel's are growing well in a stream or river then that stream or river is healthy, I hope that is true!

Raccoons sure love them!

wildcats

when the lake was down my nephew and I picked up a bucket load of those that size and larger at west point

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
So they are good catfish bait?

They are great catfish bait. be careful getting them on the hook, they're as fragile as an oyster. we used to wear them out on trotlines .

Used to see 'em in Sinclair when they'd let the water down. Used to chunk 'em across the cove onto the public ramp by the dozens.

contender*

Carters is full of them every bit as big as the one pictured. The lake has to get really low to find them though.

kudzumotorsports

pop that thing open it may have a tiny pearl. When I was a kid I found one that size at clarks hill and when opened it had a pea sized pearl inside.