Slugs

SWAMPFOX

What's the choke? If it's anything other than open bore I would opt for a rifled tube for slugs.

You may find it cheaper just to buy a slug gun. H&R makes a good one and if you want to step it up a notch, Mossberg has a fine bolt action slug gun that is very accurate. I assume Mossberg still makes it. It is the Mossberg 695. It comes with Weaver bases and Magna Ported. A buddy of mine killed a buck in Indiana in '97 with his at 125 paces. If I had it to do over again, I would go with the Mossberg.

I have an H&R that I ordered in '97 from Walmart. It is basically a 10 ga. blank bored to 12 ga. and is very accurate.

frankwright

You can get pretty good accuracy from a smoothbore shotgun barrel, especially if it is choked "Modified". If you have removable chokes you can get a little better accuracy from a rifled choke tube.

With either a smooth bore or a rifled choke tube, you want to use the less expensive "rifled Slugs" rather than the sabots that work best from a fully rifled barrel.

Effective range is probably 50 to 75 yards depending on what type of sights or scope you are using. A fully rifled barrel with a scope or red dot may stretch out another 25+ yards. Every gun and shooter is different and you just have to experiment a little to see what works best.