pitch

deersled

My pine pitch ain't worth a hoot:banginghe. I used wood charcoal and a little dried horse manure. It dries very quick and becomes quite brittle. What mixture of stuff do you guys use. Mine ain't very strong:cry:.

bam_bam

Try adjusting your ingrediants a little.

watch this:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g4RgBsHABLo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g4RgBsHABLo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve changed my recipe a little, and like it purty well. 3 parts pine pitch to 1 part FINELY ground powdered wood charcoal. If you use charcoal made from softwoods, it`s easier to grind too.

bam_bam

Never really understood why som poeple put manure in thiers. Anyone know why?

deersled

do you guys put bees wax in it. I guess there are many recipes.......I wonder why?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I don`t know the answer to that Bam Bam, but I ain`t puttin` it in my pitch glue. Nothin` wrong with a little beewax if you want too, and a little turpentine, if your resin is really hard and dry.

bam_bam

I don`t know the answer to that Bam Bam, but I ain`t puttin` it in my pitch glue. Nothin` wrong with a little beewax if you want too, and a little turpentine, if your resin is really hard and dry.

Didnt know, I aint never made pitch so I idnt know if I was missing something...lol. What does the beeswax or turp do?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Didnt know, I aint never made pitch so I idnt know if I was missing something...lol. What does the beeswax or turp do?

It gives a little elasticity to the glue. I haven`t used either one in years. I like to use just charcoal and pine pitch. It is very important to not boile the pitch though. Use just enough heat to melt it. We`ll make up a big batch of it at the Chehaw Rondyvoo.

choctawlb

I use a pinch of deer lard in mine, with a 5/1 pitch to charcoal ratio. The little bit of lard keeps it from getting brittle.
Ken

Latest posts