Plant please identify

willec

Does any one know what type plant this is? I cut it off the plant that was a bush about 3 foot tall. Had these seed pods on every limb.

Thanks

Attachments

• Plant1 (600 x 450).jpg
    Plant1 (600 x 450).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,065

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Looks like a Paw-Paw tree.

Yep, Paw-Paw tree. Native American fruit. Not too common. You're lucky to find one.
Two_Hanging_PP_Fruit.jpg

rip18

Yep, paw paw - makes great jelly when ripe - right around our next holiday. Also great food for deer, turkey, bear, fox, raccoon, possum, and on and on...

JohnK3

Banned
Now when you pick a pawpaw
Or a prickly pear
And you ***** a raw paw
Next time beware
Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw
When you pick a pear
Try to use the claw
But you don't need to use the claw
When you pick a pear of the big pawpaw
Have I given you a clue ?

According to Wikipedia, they are the largest edible fruit native to the continent.

willec

Cool that was going to be my next question do deer eat it. I've never seen a plant before. How big does it get?

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Cool that was going to be my next question do deer eat it. I've never seen a plant before. How big does it get?

The plant can get to about twenty feet. Deer don't usually eat the leaves but they love the fruit as do just about every animal in the woods. Fruit can weigh almost a pound and get about 1/2 foot long. Good eating.

danmc

Next time you're by that tree rub one of the leaves between your fingers and see if it smells like green bell peppers. Thats what I think they smell like. Don't eat the seeds. I haven't had the opportunity to try them yet but I've been told the fruit tastes like a cross between pineapple and banana.

danmc

You Need To Plant Some Around Your House

any idea how long from when you plant until you start getting fruit? I've been thinking of planting a couple of fruit trees in my backyard. This would be a nice native but out of the ordinary thing to have.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
any idea how long from when you plant until you start getting fruit? I've been thinking of planting a couple of fruit trees in my backyard. This would be a nice native but out of the ordinary thing to have.

Several years if you use a cutting. You won't get any fruit unless you cage it up.

Jeffriesw

Now when you pick a pawpaw
Or a prickly pear
And you ***** a raw paw
Next time beware
Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw
When you pick a pear
Try to use the claw
But you don't need to use the claw
When you pick a pear of the big pawpaw
Have I given you a clue ?

According to Wikipedia, they are the largest edible fruit native to the continent.

Balloo the Bear (sp) That was a great movie.:banana:

I have a solid black cat named Bagheera :bounce:

holton27596

I have a couple. They bloomed for the first time last year. That was the third year. Pretty purple blooms. Then we had a hail storm that knocked them all off :( I am really looking forward to tasting them. One is a standard pawpaw that is supposed to have a banana custard texture and flavor the other is a mango pawpaw and is supposed to have a mango flavor.