Deer hunting gadgets

Jody Hawk

I can't believe some of the stuff that is out there for hunters to spend their money on. The best one of the year is Knight and Hale's rack attack. You hold it in your hand and squeeze and it is supposed to simulate a buck fight !!! This one is almost as good as the bucks in a bag. You know the one where it sounds exactly like what it is, sticks clanging together in a bag. Now I don't know how many of you have heard a real live buck fight but I have and believe me it's not going to be duplicated with a bag of sticks. The sad thing is, this stuff sells !!!!!!!!!!!! ::huh:

gabowman

Jody,

It never fails to totally amaze me each year when I go into a sporting goods store and start browsing thru all the hunting gadgets. Now I know we each have our own little quirks when it comes to hunting and what works and what doesn't, but I'm usually even more amazed at watching some of those guys that simply have to try out each gadget on the shelves. Seems that once a new gadget is promoted in a new hunting video some the guys think it's the best thing since sliced bread and simply have to have it. ::huh: You know, I've tried a few things along the line of some 30 some odd years of hunting too but when you face the facts: deer will act as deer as they have for more years than I've hunted them and deer were killed many many years ago and those gadgets weren't even in existance way back then. I still try and keep my hunting simple and even without all those new gadgets I think I can hold my own with the amount of effort spent unless some awful bad luck seems to turn my way. To me, a plus for the gadgets.....it gives you a new vigor and set of expectations when going to the deer woods with something new to try so I say if you feel it'll work then go for it! All this new stuff invented each year just isnt for all of us.

GB

Duff

Jody,

I agree w/you. Folks will try and sell anything nowdays. My favorite is the battery operated feeder sound alike thing. Hand held unit is supposed to sound like a corn feeder going off and make the deer come running:bounce: :bounce: ::huh:

I can't agree if your talking about a rattle bag. I had a 140bc 8 pt at 30 yrds looking dead at me, before I could put my rattle bag down, year before last. It fooled him anyway.

Duff

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I disagree with the "sticks in a bag" not working also. I know of two bucks that have responded with out a doubt to the bags.

H

HT2

Jody.....

I'm with you.....

Every year there are more and more things that are "created".....

I guess most of them are for the "first time hunter".......Generally they'll buy anything..... :bounce:

jeepguru

Allow though I do agree most of the gadgets out there don't work I have to disagree about the rattle bags. The 11 pointer on my wall is all the proof I need that they do work. I like using them over horns on the ground because of less movement. To each his own though.

deermeat270

Banned
Its just big kid toys...If you wanna buy some of that stuff more power to you. I have a few toys..including the rattle bag. I have never called a deer in with it but I still use it. I look at the toys as a modification to my deer hunting experience. :clap:

Deer

I suppose that at some point in history, some guy who deer hunted with a slingshot told the guy hunting with a new invention called the bow and arrow that it would never catch on. Ah, the evolution of our sport.

QuackAddict

The rattle bag definitely works but I have also seen the Rack Attack. That is one of the most ridiculous gadgets that I have seen yet and I have lost a lot of respect for Knight & Hale. It says one handed operation but it takes two. Not to mention that it sounds terrible.

marknga

GONetwork Member
We were talking about this the other day at work. When I was a kid in the 60's and 70's we killed alot of deer. What was I wearing? Probably a red/black checkered flannel shirt, blue jeans and when it was cold an old Air Force Jacket. Then came Army camo and the race was on! Back then we just knew what deer sign to look for, where to set up a stand, be still, be quiet and be patient.
I think that one of today's problems is that most of us all want it NOW. We don't have time to wait we need it now.
So whatever gadget can help us or some of us save that time we will try it.
Some of the stuff is laughable but all in all I have to say that we probably dress better, stay warmer and have more accurate weapons than we did 30 years ago. And I have to agree that the "rattle bag" works.
Be safe.

Mark

"aim small, miss small"

Perry Hayes

I just use what I have used for the last 25 years with the exception of a few products that have come along that I personally believe in. Its kind of like Bass Fishing. Them fish will not bite a blue worm this year it must be true blue.
Its about selling and its aimed at the novice hunters mostly. However there have been some legit products as well.I just don't spend money on the "New Craze" so to speak.

dixie

shoot, lets

take this one more step, HIGH dollar 4-wheelers, the very latest camo wear, the highest dollar scope and rifle, the biggest, baddest 4-wheel drive truck that NEVER gets dirty, 30.00 dollars or higher for a ounce of doe pee!! Whatever happened to deer hunting for the sheer joy of the hunt? ::huh:

mpowell

yeah, i get a kick out of the small, remote control devices that have hit the shelves this year. we're not talking about the expensive sets you see but the little, cheap things that look like the remote control **** machine i bought at spencer's a few years back!

that gives me an idea. some of the "sounds" from my machine actually sound a little like a buck grunting. might need to tote it with me tomorrow.

BTW, as sophomoric as the device i bought is, it's probably the best $20 i've ever spent considering the fun we've had with it through the years.

Latest posts