Minimum or Maximum

Gabby

How many Beagles do you run when rabbit hunting? Could you run one dog by it's self or should you have 2 or more dogs running? Is there a standard number that you usually run? Just wondering how everybody does it?

Gabby

Jody Hawk

Gabby,
There's no standard number but the more you have in the pack, the better the race sounds. Five screaming beagles sound alot better than two imo. Plus, the extra dogs help with jumps and checks. I run five right now but would love to have one more goodun. Then, I'll need one more. Always need one more. :bounce:

redtick

Number of hounds to run

How many Beagles do you run when rabbit hunting? Could you run one dog by it's self or should you have 2 or more dogs running? Is there a standard number that you usually run? Just wondering how everybody does it?

Gabby
Gabby When I was about ten years old my grand-pa had 3 hounds 2 were wind splitters and one half fiest beagle mix. We killed plenty of rabbits with these 3 hounds and also the mix breed doubled as the tree rodent hound, you dont see many that double any more. I always wondered how he knew what animal grand-pa was going after. Well back to the question many field trial men solo there hounds to make them more independent and also to learn how to better run a rabbit but I am by no means an expert on this subject. Daddy rabbit could answer that question better for you. I like to have as many hounds as I can take and all still contribute to the race but, I had rather have one hound to run than have none!

bobman

A single hound will learn everyting better he has to, he has no other dogs to rely on for help