Duramax.. Opinions please

Just 1 More

I'm in the market for a 2002-2004 2500HD and drove one today that has a Duramx6.6l turbo... I was definitly impressed with the power. What is the good and the bad of owning a diesel? I never had one so I have no clue..

the HEED!

Banned
Here's an opinion,

Get A FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::ke:

GAGE

GONetwork Member
The bad is they cost more, the good is they are worth more!
The good is gas used to be more expensive than diesel and the bad is that is reversed now!
They have more raw power than gas and will pull the devil out of elmo and that is good!

Buy one, you will not be disappointed and that is good!

jason308

Yes the oil changes are expensive because they hold more oil. The Ford 7.3 DIT powerstroke holds 14 quarts I believe. And if you can't get your oil changed on schedule with your gas motor, don't get a diesel cause you will think it is coming unhinged when you double the interval for an oil change. It'll skip, not have any power, and barely stay running. We used to see it all the time when I worked at the dealership, someone would cuss the truck and the motor and everything else but the dipstick would be dry and the sticker in the windshield said the oil change should have been done 5000 miles ago. Don't get me wrong, I am a big diesel fan and as soon as I get out of school and pay off my debts I plan to own one. The typical diesel engine warranty is 100k miles, or it used to be. But when stuff starts breaking, be prepared to pay for it. As far as the Duramax, I have heard great things about it and wouldn't own a truck other than a Chevy anyhow. Give it time and we'll test all these "Ford powerstroke outselling Chevy Duramax" claims. A couple of years back (03 I believe) I was told at a dealership back home that there was a waiting list for them. But they have stepped up production and there are plenty more new ones on the lots now.

Last edited:

Big M

oil change $80.00 every 5,000 miles
fuel filter ,2 two of them every 1,500 miles $200.00
air filter can run $60.00 to $150.00 every 20.000 miles

H

HT2

Just 1..........

Hey Bud........

Don't settle for 2nd best...........

Get you a "DODGE" with a real diesel in it............

A "CUMMINS"!!!!!!!!!

You drive a Dodge with that Cummin's in it, and you'll throw rocks at that "DURASLACK"!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Big M

HT2 said:
Hey Bud........

A "CUMMINS"!!!!!!!!!

You drive a Dodge with that Cummin's in it, and you'll throw rocks at that "DURASLACK"!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
ford owns cummins don't they---PSD FORD :rofl:

Huntsman.45

Nope!

Big M said:
ford owns cummins don't they---PSD FORD :rofl:

Ford Does not own any part of Cummins!! I hear this all of the time! I know because I am very close to the Cummins Distributor!

The Cummins engines in the Dodge will outlast either of the others. I know of several that were used as work trucks hauling storage buildings, hay, hogs, cattle, and such that have had as many as 400,000 miles on them! AND STILL GOING!! :fine:

:offtopic: Tim, Hope your truck is Cummins powered!!

Just 1 More

Thanks for all the opinions.. I have decided against the diesel. I can't get past the noise and I don't tow things on a regular basis..
Looks like the 2500HD w/6.0 wins this round for me.

jason308

That 6 liter in that 2500 HD still makes a heckuva combination! Post a pic so we can drool when you get it! :fine:

Heathen

HT2 said:
Hey Bud........

A "CUMMINS"!!!!!!!!!

Then why go to the third "best" The Duramax will resale for thousands more than than your dodge. Also alot of those Cummins motors are 6 cylinders. Know a guy who has a dooley & thats what is in his.

cowboyron

I don't know but isn't that duramax a converted gas engine ? My inquisitive (spelling) mind wants to know.

Rednec

Banned
Duramax

The older Chevy diesels (bad) were converted gas guzzlers. The Duramax is a Izuzu with decades of road use in Japan, with combination of Allison tranny, it is hard to beat even with a Cummins which I have. Back to cost, they are more expensive to maintain, diesel oil is no more than "gas" oil, however for 11 qts= 18-$20, oil filter 8-$10, fuel filters (2)every 10-15k=$18, it all can be done at home. Parts & labor is usually more, but they will outpull/outlast any gasser & they sound kool. As a daily commuter I would not want one, mine is my second vehicle so maint. is not a $ problem...The 1st generation Cummins normally run for 300-500k miles, they are more simple configurations, Duramax hasnt been around long enough to brag much & Fords new 6cyl is having some design problems as expected. my-toocents :huh:

badger

Heathen said:
Then why go to the third "best" The Duramax will resale for thousands more than than your dodge. Also alot of those Cummins motors are 6 cylinders. Know a guy who has a dooley & thats what is in his.

ALL of the Cummins diesels used in the light trucks are 6 cylinders. (Rather have 6 soldiers standing than 8 laying down, you know :rofl: )

As for HP & torque, the Cummins does very well, with 325HP & 610 lb/ft of torque stock. There is a certain gentleman who has an early 12 valve Cummins in his Ford F350 crewcab (4X4) (The Powerstroke kept throwing rods at about the 500 HP mark, so he swopped in the Cummins) that was featured in a recent off-road magazine. The truck turns a 10.29 sec quarter mile and dynoed 1000 HP and 1700 lb/ft of torque to the wheels with Cummins power. It is his daily driver & has been very reliable considering the amount of mods done to it to achieve those figures. Dual turbos and over 100lbs of boost :banana: :banana: :banana:
Concerning resale value, if the Chevy didn't sell for more than the Dodge, I would be very disappointed. When I was shopping for a truck, the Chevy (comparably equipped) was $12k more than my 2003 Dodge, so I would resonably expect a 12k higher resale value, correct?

badger

Last edited:

Perry Hayes

HT2 said:
Hey Bud........

A "CUMMINS"!!!!!!!!!

What did you say..........can't here you over that rattlin Dodge.Turn that thing off.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
HT2 said:
Hey Bud........

A "CUMMINS"!!!!!!!!!

Come on Tim... I remember another thread were you said you really wanted a GMC but they were expensive so you went with a dodge!

Who is settling now? ::ke:

I will keep my DURAMAX! :cool:

H

HT2

Gage.........

Oh you're right.......

I like the ride of a GMC, the interior, not so much the exterior though.......I don't like 'em since they changed the front end of them.........

And, truth be known I'd probably get a GMC if I was in the market for a new truck and they got their heart right, and I was gettin' a gas burner.........

But, then I drove my buddy's Dodge 3500 with that Cummin's Diesel in it.........

MAN-O-MAN!!!!!!!!!

If/when I do get another truck it's gonna be a diesel and it's gonna be a "DODGE"!!!!!!!! That is one running, pulling, son of a gun........

Meriwether Mike

I rented a Duramax to tow my 442W30 in a covered trailer to Ohio. The car and the trailer combined weighed somewhere in the area of 7,000 pounds. It towed through the mountains of Tennessee at 80 MPH without a hitch. Without the trailer it would get down the road pretty good as well. Nice truck if you are doing heavy towing. :bounce: