A lucky Guy

F14Gunner

Was out shooting my birthday present this past weekend. 1851 Confederate Navy Colt, .44 cal. Load was 35gr of powder standard .44 ball. Fired 14 rds with no problem the 15th rd sounded funny, Well here's the result.
Appears there may have been a flaw in the barrel. Sent it back today to Cabela's. They are replacing it. Lucky to have all my fingers I guess.

Attachments

• 1851 Confederate Navy colt 44 cal.jpg
    1851 Confederate Navy colt 44 cal.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 399
  • Barrel.jpg
    Barrel.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 396

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
That could have been really bad...

FX Jenkins

yikes....I hope they replace it and give you a nice gift certificate....

01Foreman400

Staff member
That ain't good. I'd be worried about the replacement also.

Nugefan

that could of left a mark ...

glad you are OK .....

I would be highly upset .....

Luke_M

Not that this has anything to do with your problem, I usually don't shoot more than 25 grains in my brass framed pistols. The brass has been known to stretch with heavier loads.

Glad that you are alright, that could have been bad.

Luke

F14Gunner

Not that this has anything to do with your problem, I usually don't shoot more than 25 grains in my brass framed pistols. The brass has been known to stretch with heavier loads.

Glad that you are alright, that could have been bad.

Luke
The recommended load is 45 gr, did not want to go that high, get plenty with the 35gr. 25 yards is plenty for where I'm using it at. Just glad that it didn't explode all the way.

red tail

GONetwork Member
That was a close one!

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
F14,

Where are you getting your load data from?

I have a steel framed Pietta 1858 and the max load for that gun is 35 grains of FFFg. 45 grains sounds way too high. Especially for a brass-framed 1851.

Luke_M

The recommended load is 45 gr, did not want to go that high, get plenty with the 35gr. 25 yards is plenty for where I'm using it at. Just glad that it didn't explode all the way.

Traditions web site list the following:

40 gr. for the Colt Walker
30 gr. for the Colt Replicas.

I'm not saying you are worng and I'm far from a BP expert but the charges seem high.

Luke_M

F14,

I have a steel framed Pietta 1858 and the max load for that gun is 35 grains of FFFg. 45 grains sounds way too high. Especially for a brass-framed 1851.

I shoot a 1858 Remington Copy, love a good steel frame.

F14Gunner

F14,

Was listed in the book that came with it. That's why I was only loading 35gr, didn't sound right.

nhancedsvt

Banned
i have that same gun! i hope that doesn't happen with mine. how old is yours? mine is several years old so maybe it was just a fluke.

F14Gunner

i have that same gun! i hope that doesn't happen with mine. how old is yours? mine is several years old so maybe it was just a fluke.
Son and daughter-in-law got it for my birthday in Jan, first time i had a chance to fire it.

tv_racin_fan

I dunno nuffin.

I stretched a brass framed navy colt replice by shooting what was the max in the manual (30grains). Ruined a dern fine shootin replica I did.

I have a steel framed 1858 Remington replica and I didn't get a manual with it but I don't see any possible way to get 45 grains of powder in it.

Wiskey_33

send pictures to mythbusters, they seem to think exploding barrels cant happen like that.

I thought they were busting the myth of sticking a finger in the barrel and having it blow.

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
F14Gunner,

I just checked the manual that came with my BP revolver. The max Black Powder load for a .44 Revolver with a standard cylinder (not a Walker model) is 35 grains of FFFg. If using Pyrodex the max charge is 28 grains.
Also, after reading your post, it states that you were using a "standard .44 ball". For a .44 caliber BP pistol you should be using .451"-.454" balls or conicals. Just wanted to know.