Opening Morning Set-up

Al33

Gotta admit, I am not super excited about my setup, but neither was I the day I killed the buck in my avatar. :) The heavy rains and many fallen leaves made it difficult for me to find fresh sign. I found white oaks on the ground in several areas, but none seemed to have more sign that any of the others. I opted for a draw between two ridges 100 yards from a large 8-10 year old planted pines thicket. There are several white oaks around and the place just looks like a nice corridor for them to travel. I can only hope I made the right choice. :confused:

My biggest confidence factor is that I have often killed deer in areas and at times when I really had little confidence of doing so. :rolleyes: Now that's crazy, ain't it?

Good luck to all and be safe. Can hardly wait to log on here after the weekend and read about the exciting hunts and kills. I hope I have one to share too. :clap:

Al

Meriwether Mike

Good luck Al. I have two choices and will decide based upon the wind forecast later today. The one I prefer is similar to yours. It is in a draw which will act as a funnel area. There are a few white oaks in there, but I like the fact that about any deer moving into the high ground bedding areas will take this easy trail to walk up. There are also two ridge lines that drop off right into this area. My other spot is good for a east or northeast wind and is on a food source. There are muscadines as well as white oaks in my second spot.

TJay

Opening Morning Setup

I will be in a spot that usually gets overlooked on our club because it is close to the road, but when the white oaks are dropping acorns it can be a good spot for some meat. I will be hunting on the edge of a deep gully with mature white oaks along both sides. When the acorns fall, many roll down into the bottom of the gully and the deer will get down there to feed on the nuts gathered there. Shot placement will be critical since I will be about 18 ft up and if the deer are down in the bottom of the gully that will be another 12 ft or more. The shooting angle will be pretty steep. Good luck to ya Al, and to everyone else. :cool:

Jeff Phillips

I'll be up a tree in a white oak grove.

25 yards to a steep creek bank on my right and 30 yards to a THICK cut over on my left. It's a great funnel :clap:

There's already a few good sized rubs and 1 scrape in there. I hope to have 1 buck or doe on the ground by 9:30 ;)

Al33

Dang jeff,....

Ya ain't got one of them there buddy stands do ya? :D

Sounds like you are in for an exciting morning tomorrow. Good luck my friend, go get 'em. :clap:

Al

Jeff Phillips

Al - The buddy stand ain't set up yet, but when it is you'd be welcome anytime :)

Hope you stick you a biggun, or a young tender doe ;)

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Hardwood ridge full of white oaks for me in the morning and a small food plot in the afternoon!

Good luck all!

Guy

The Honey Hole!!

I will be in a hardwood bottom next to a little creek with 20 year old planted pines on my left. I have always seen deer in this stand. Last year they always came up from behind me. This year I turned the stand. :clap:

We'll see. The only problem that I may have is that I might have to shoot while I am sitting. However, I have practiced!

Murdock

Hardwood ridge in the morning and a field edge in the evening where three large white oaks are dropping. Oh, and muscadines are next to them and falling. Hope it works this time. This season opener is early, but I'm all for more time.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I have so many places to choose, I am not sure where yet. Pending wind and where Andy and Mark are will help me decide.

Course I may just sleep in :D
Jim

Arrow Flinger

I had to set up 3 stands. A tripod over crabapples for my Son, a ladder over my new food plot with acorns falling in it for my Daddy and I am stuck with a climber over some green white oaks. I have a ton of confidence in the first 2 setups but mine will be hit or miss but I am fired up either way!

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
Well how did your setups work. Tell us

Arrow Flinger

The food plot with acorns worked good. Daddy saw 3 deer morning and 3 in the evening. He passed on shots at 2 fawns on the morning hunt and missed a dig doe Saturday evening. My setup worked ok but I was our of position by 50 yards. I saw 5 Saturday morning and the only shot oportunity was a little fawn that fed directly under me that I passed on. Saw 6 on the evening hunt but 50 yards off on my stand placement. The crabapples Jake was set up on was a bust. Not a deer sighted and I was expecting it to be the best of the 3. Great day though spending the day with them.