Dale Earnhardt Jr. vs profanity police

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
SportsLine.com ^ | 10/04/04 | Brian De Los Santos

Asked what it meant to win at Talladega for a fifth time, Dale Earnhardt Jr. responded as if he were talking with some buddies at a bar.

"Well, it don't mean ***manure*** right now. Daddy's won here 10 times. So, I've got to do more winning. But we're going to get there. He was the master. I'm just following in his tracks."

But he wasn't at a bar, he was in Victory Lane in front of millions of people on national television.

It was harmless slip of the tongue that should prove costly -- both monetarily and in the points chase.

Ever since the Super Bowl halftime controversy over the exposure of Janet Jackson's breast, the Federal Communications Commission has been cracking down on profane language and behavior on the airwaves.

At the beginning of the season, NASCAR president Mike Helton warned drivers to watch their tongues.

When Busch Series drivers Ron Hornaday Jr. and Johnny Sauter said the same word on live radio at earlier events this season, they were fined $10,000 and docked 25 series points.

With his victory at Talladega on Sunday, Earnhardt Jr. moved into first in the point standings, 13 ahead of Kurt Busch. A similar points penalty would knock him back to second, 12 behind Busch.

"Johnny Sauter said it in a fit of anger," explained Earnhardt Jr. "I said it in Victory Lane. Do you want the commercial of Matt (Kenseth) being a robot to come to fruition?

"I hope they understand that it was in jubilation, and I know me and those other guys that got fined let it slip, but it's two different circumstances. I think that when you're happy and joyous about something and it happens, I think it's different than being angry and cursing in anger.

"Of course we don't want to promote that. But if a guy is in Victory Lane jumping up and down and let's a ***manure*** slip out, I don't think that's something we need go hammering down on."

Two points to make here:

1. NASCAR set a precedent when it deducted points from Hornaday and Sauter -- and those two cursed before a much smaller audience.

It has no choice but to do the same to Earnhardt Jr. It doesn't matter that he said it in a moment of joy. The word is the word, the FCC doesn't much care how it's said.

Not deducting points shows favoritism and raises eyebrows throughout the garage and among the non-Earnhardt faction of fans.

2. Points should not be taken away for infractions not involving competition.

While all the drivers know the rules, penalizing points for a flippant remark after a heated battle or in a moment of joy is a bit much.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
I hope the enforce the same penality. There is something to be said for consistancy, but then again we are talking about NASCAR.

short stop

I heard abunch of drivers SWEAR not just JR. ------H#@l seemed to be real popular . A little disappointed here . SS

bilgerat

Senior
Jr

I Dont Think The Nascar Officials Will Do Any Thing To Jr. He,ll Get Off With A Warning And An At,aboy

WillC

My guess is that they'll fine him and take away the 25 points, just because if they don't people will complain how they favor jr and how they are inconsistant with the rules...However I hope they don't since I'm a JR fan. :clap:

Hambone

If Jimmy Spencer had said it, he'd already have been fined.

The golden boys often get a pass.

Just a fact.

Note: This was not intended to be a slam on Lil' E or any of the other "favorite sons". I'd like to think that my favorite, Kahne, will one day be a "favorite son".

Dog Hunter

They were in between a rock and hard place. It was a no win sitation for them.. But for the sport. I think they made the right decision.

duckbill

I'll be anxious to see what his (JR's) next interview will be like. His daddy didn't have any use for the press. Jr may end up the same way. He may take the attitude..."if you don't like the way I talk, don't interview me."
As a Christian, I try to keep my language in check. However, I don't sit back and judge others for not doing the same. With all the trash and smut on TV, it seems ridiculous to attack this kind of incident. It's not like it's about morality anyhow.

reylamb

It does seem rather ridiculous, especially now that the S word is off the list of bad words for the FCC. Heck, the F word can be used as long as it is not used as a verb.

Meriwether Mike

While I do not appreciate cursing this seems ridiculous. Why not go ahead and neuter the drivers so they do not get too aggresive from the testosterone. I would sure like to hear Ole #3s opinion on this wimpy new nascar.

Randy

If I were JR., it would be a cold day in hades before they got any more words out of me. Political Correctness? Give me break. They don't kick out these beer companies or drug companies for advertisement. And what about all the drunks at the race? This is not exacty the sport of kings and noblemen. I mean, these guys are rednecks and they should be allowed to talk as such.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
It's their game and their rules.

I'm proud to see them dole out the punishment on an even plane.

As with all aspects of life, there are consequences for the decisions we make.

We have young children looking at these drivers wanting to be just like them. We need at least some of them to step up and be heros.

Of course expecting Jr. to be a hero at his age may be a stretch especially when you factor in the image his sponser would like for him to portray.

At any rate, it still seems simple to me. He broke a published rule and now he is paying a known price.

If I was #2-10 & NASCAR didn't penalize him, I'd be shouting from the top of the Hollywood Hotel!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with the punishment because others have been in the same boat. I just don't agree with the rule in general. Nascar is about how you can drive a race car. The points are awarded likewise. If they want to give out a Mr. Congeniality award next year, they need to add a special points system just for them. Also, like someone said before, what about the other drivers that speak profanity, maybe not as bad of word, and don't get fined.

Randy

I got one for ya.................

What do you get if you take the number 8 and subtract 25?

2 as in 2nd place...HA! HA!HA! :bounce:

Outdoor-Writer07

Talking during the race...

I was listening to Dale Jr. during the whole race at Talladega on my scanner. If nascar is worried about this little ol' S word, they are stupid! I admit I didn't realize JR's mouth was that bad, but hey he's still a good driver and still the MAN!!!