Recommendations/help please

Adirondacker

My daughter is looking for a companion dog. Must be less than 50 lbs. (apartment regs) and cannot be, what they call, one of the "aggressive breeds".

We are not necessarily looking for a pure breed and have actually visited several area animal shelters. She has expressed interest in rescuing a dog. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or leads, etc..

She lives in Greenville, SC while I live in NE Georgia area. She may be able to take the dog with her to her office daily but that is not certain. It may need to be crated for better part of the work day until it can be well trained to have the run of the apartment in her absence. Have looked at the Boykin Spaniel but expense and availability might be an issue. Not sure if that breed could be workable as an apartment dweller.

One of the big problems I have alerted her to is that if she gets a puppy and then it ends up over 50 lbs she'd have to get rid of it. I don't think she is really into the "little dog" route either, so we're looking for a medium sized dog.

Thanks

Bodab1974

Get a beagle. THey are a small breed and a very affectionate animal.

They do not get much over 30 lbs and about 15" in height at the shoulder

I generally think it's a bad idea to get a sporting breed for an apartment dweller.

The idea of a rescue dog is a good one. Even if you want a pure bred, every breed has a rescue group. We have two rescue dogs right now, and couldn't be happier.

One advantage of going the rescue route is that most times the agency has a background on the dog, and so you can short circuit the training cycle if you find a dog that is compatible with your needs. Don't worry about it being grown. One of our dogs was 2 years old when we rescued it, and he's our main man right now.

Breed wise look for a hound, or hound cross. Hounds tend not to be so frenetic. If she's considering a pure bred, look at Bassetts.

T

tuffdawg

I know some people that are fostering two rescue dogs right now. One is a purebred Dacshund (sp?) Dapple female, just under 1 year, no papers.

The other one is about 4 years old, 22 lbs, and is brindle and white, half boston terrier and half something else, but looks like a taller boston.

Both dogs are housebroken...... both very healthy

Adirondacker

Sorry but I forgot to update that my daughter rescued a nice mutt from the pound. She's on a cruise with my wife right now and the pooch is sleeping on my couch right now.:bounce: