evinrude 9.9

braintree

guys i need some help. i have a 1987 evinrude 9.9 is use for fishing the river. it idles great but from half to full throttle it bogs down and will not open up. i took the carb off and cleaned it good, changed the plugs and checked the filter screen. any ideas, could it be the timing or the power pack. HELP

CAL

If it bogs down from half to full throttle it is your high speed jet.I bet it is still stopped up from something,probably from old gas turned to a varnish!Timing doesn't get off and power pacs either work or don't.This is my take,good luck with it.

James Vincent

Mine did same thing. Take plugs out and give it a spin and check for water in cylinder. Needs to be in water to check. Mine would run great on one cylinder and the other one full of water. This is no big deal just replace head gasket. Takes about 10 min with gasket in hand.

Last edited:

boneboy96

IF it's not water in the cylinder...(ie head gasket) ... it's definitely the carb...high speed side as stated previously! clean throughly...use lead substitute if engine is real old...70-s, etc. mix with gas/oil as per packaging...doesn't sound too major! I had carb rebuilt 2x and finally had a NEW carb installed..never had a lick of trouble since. just my .02 that was a '03 Merc 25. :cool:

braintree

thanks guys. boat man told me my carb had turned porus and was sucking air somehow. put a new carb on it and it works great.

CAL

Thats a new one on me,I would bet money the high speed jet was stopped up.A new carb.will fix any kind of gas problems unless it is the filter.I think you were had,but who am I.Glad you got it fixed,that was the main thing!

braintree

Thanks Cal for youre post. I had taken the carb off about a week before taking it to the shop and cleaned it real good. I took the jets out and cleaned them real good and they appeared to be in good shape. I dont know much about um but oh well, im getting a new a carb.

Huntsman.45

BrainTree?

Did you take out every screw that you could?

If not you most likely missed a metering valve in the carb. I just had to do the same to my 15hp Mariner, left gas and it turned to varnish. Cleaned with paint thinner and fresh gas. took out everything that could be taken out. Cleaned every hole! Put carb back on, primed pulled several times finally cranked and ran like new!