Mechanical or Fixed Blade

Which will you use during archery season?

• Mechanical broadhead

Votes: 25 33.3%
  • Fixed Blade Broadhead

Votes: 44 58.7%
  • both

Votes: 6 8.0%

• Total voters

Randy

100 gr. Fixed Muzzys.

RThomas

I use fixed, fixed, and sometimes fixed. :)

Wasp 125.

TOW

As far as the mechanical vs fixed blade..

When I shot compounds and recurves I used swaged arrows with Zwickey Eskimos

When I switched over to crossbows I started using the Wasp 100 grain SST Hammers. I've killed 7 mature deer with them with the farthest going 75 yards.

I tried turkey hunting with my crossbow this year and switched over to the Wasp 100 grain SST JackHammer mechanicals. I wanted a bigger cutting path.

The gobbler I called in got to a point close enough to my decoys to determine "Them ain't real" and turned to leave. I shot him walking and hit him a tad too far back.

The JackHammers put a HUGE hole in him and he went down in less than 100 yards. Blood everywhere. My belief is that if I had used the Wasp Hammer or the Zwickey he would have got away.

I'll be using the Jackhammers this year on deer.

I did find out that I had to move the band further up the blades to keep from getting a premature opening on launch.crossbows have a lot of UMMPPHH on launch.

I do think mechanicals get a bad rap from a lot of people. Some tend to blame a poor hit and a loss of a deer on the equipment that they use.

I guess some of that comes from the "I'm not to blame" generation

Jorge

Fixed! 100 GR Rockys. Tried mechanicals two years ago and won't ever try them again.

Jorge

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
100 grain 3 blade muzzy. :fine:

Jasper

130 grain, 4 blade Muzzy's for me.

Scoutman

Thunderhead 125's for 20 years.

reylamb

All of the above. Mechanical heads are not for everyone as some require alot of energy to get reliable results.

Personally, 90% of my hunting will be done with Rocket Steelhead 125s and I see no reason to switch.

I agree with TOW, alot of the bad rap that mechanicals have comes from folks blaming their gear for poor shots.........

Jorge

reylamb said:
..I agree with TOW, alot of the bad rap that mechanicals have comes from folks blaming their gear for poor shots.........
I can't disagree with you or TOW on this completly. Heck, one of the two deer I shot with a mechanical was a little back but the large cutting radius ensured a quick kill by getting the back of both lungs rather than solely a liver shot. However, I have shot enough deer with a bow to know that when shooting a quartering away deer, the broadhead should at least make it to the offside shoulder before stopping (if at all). My second deer with a mechanical got almost zero penetration and made for a very tough tracking job. I just do not have enough confidence in them to use again.

George

Arrow3

I keep both with me during bowseason....We have a decent hog population and I want to shoot a hog with a fixed blade if all possible....I usually shoot rocket hammerheads for deer...

reylamb

Jorge said:
I can't disagree with you or TOW on this completly. Heck, one of the two deer I shot with a mechanical was a little back but the large cutting radius ensured a quick kill by getting the back of both lungs rather than solely a liver shot. However, I have shot enough deer with a bow to know that when shooting a quartering away deer, the broadhead should at least make it to the offside shoulder before stopping (if at all). My second deer with a mechanical got almost zero penetration and made for a very tough tracking job. I just do not have enough confidence in them to use again.

George
Several culprits could be at play here. What was your setup, and which head was it? As I said, they are not for everyone. Anyone pushing less than 60#s of KE should not use a head like a NAP Spitfire, or any of the 1.5"+ cutting diameters.

HORTON

Thunderheads

125 gr. on Aluminum arrows for 18 years.

Goin' to 100 gr. this year w/ carbon arrows

truittsosebee

I was looking forward to trying the new Atom broadheads that use a wire "blade" until I saw the price of them. Cabela's has them advertised for $44.99, FOR A PACK OF 2!!! :hair: I guess I'll be shooting either Muzzy's or First Cut 125's again this year. To me, $22.50 each for a broadhead is just crazy.