Want to do some thing with my cape

Duckhawk

Banned
Guys, I know you professionals get asked this question all the time!

I picked up my buck from the processor and he caped the buck and left me the entire skin all the way to the tail.

I would like to possible try and save it and keep the hair intact, I've seen some that had been tanned and they were draped over a table. That is what I am trying to achieve.

How can I do that, and what do you use.

Nugefan

I saw a solution yesterday at Tandy Leather that says it was a " hair on " tanning solution ..... never tried it though .....

can tell ya about hair off but don't know hair on ...

sorry ..

have ya googled it ????

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
My cousin has a couple that he has draped across coffee tables, looks really nice considering he has about 10 bucks mounted on the walls along with numerous mounts. I'll try and ask him how he did it, but it might be later in the week before I get an answer. I also knew an old man (he's about 95 now), that used deer hides with hair on to replace the seat in wooden ladder back chairs, something he said they did in the old days.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Scrape the meat side of the hide clean. This means remove all the meat, fat, and the epidermis. Lash it in a frame and let it dry. As it dries, check to make sure you scraped all the epidermis off. Any left will show up a shiny smooth places. Buff these areas LIGHTLY with fine sandpaper to remove it. Go to the meat market and buy a fresh pork brain. In a bucket with a little warm (not hot) water, add the brain and mash and mix to a thick consistancy. Smear this on the meat side of the hide, and then remove it from the frame. Give the meat side several coats of thid mix, and work it in well. Once you have it saturated, pull and stretch the hide till it dries. As it dries, you will see the hide start to turn white. when it is completely dry, it will be brain tanned. If you are gonna keep it inside as a throw or decoration, it will be fine as is.If used outside and subject to dampness, it will need to be smoked.

Outdoorsnole

Nicodemus,

When you mix the brain, what is the mash that you are talking about? Could you also use the deer's brain if you shoot one and want to keep that skin?

Cleankill47

Outdoorsnole,

Nic means to mash and mix the brains to an even texture, not anything else you add but water.

Unless you want to mix in a shotglass full of tannic acid water, which you can make from boiling some acorns. The tannic acid will help the mixture penetrate more deeply, and you don't have to do anything different. It makes the skin side more fluffy and soft.

And make sure you don't have any calluses on your hands that you need, because if you get those brains on them, they'll be gone quick.

Oh, and yes, deer brains work just fine. It doesn't really matter what brain you use for what hide; brains are brains I guess. Nic probably just suggested pig brains because they're cheap, easy to get a lot of and work with.

Good luck.

You gonna post pics when it's done?

Outdoorsnole

I'm gonna have to do this for the first time this year. Opening of archery is this weekend and I have a new spot picked out that I'm feeling very confident with. Whether it be one of the bucks making all the rubs and scrapes everywhere or a doe strolling through I'll be drawing back on it.

I have a couple questions though. What do you use to frame it with so that I don't stick nails or tacks through it?

Also, do you wear gloves while putting the brain mix on it? I do need my caluses for work!

Also, you say work it until it dries out completely and is tanned. I would guess that I rinse this stuff off and maybe put some type of leather oil on it to help it relax and get soft?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I use a rectangle shape frame made from 2X4s, and I make tiny holes about 3 inches apart in th edge of the hide. I then use twine to lace it in the frame. I use gloves nowadays. You don`t rinse out the brain mix. You work the hide until it is completely dry. There will be no odor, and the leather will be white. I will try to post pics of my set up tomorrow for you.

georgia_home

when i got a big buck several years ago, i had the hide tanned at the same time i had the mount done... it was soft tanned and very flexible... and looks good. even with a few small knicks and 2 bullet holes in the hide.

we have it in the living room, and my son likes to grab it on occasion... will even sit still to have his picture taken on it!:cool:

we also have a bedroom with a western theme, it makes a great throw in there.

Attachments

• 100_2906.jpg
    100_2906.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 162

Latest posts