Whats the best dog for my youngins

aa136

I have a 5 year old boy and a 1 year old girl and there wanting a dog (He is) . I want something even tempered and with stay at the house and dont chew everything up. I have had a lab and know there good dogs but can be a pain. I also have an old mutt now and want a dog that will be good with him. Any advice would be appreciated

Jody Hawk

I'm partial to Pugs. We love our LuLu !!!!! They are the most loving dogs that you'll ever own.

Attachments

• lulu%20bath_01.jpg
    lulu%20bath_01.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 823
T

tuffdawg

WranglerJoe here on the forum has a litter of blueheeler crosses that would be great for kids! Plus, they wont get huge. :)

JDMAN

Here is a picture of a labradoodle.

DoodleHousePorter

Gary Mercer

Best dog for kids is a Golden Retriever, followed closely by a Rough Collie. (Lassie)
Had both, and they raised my kids and grandkids.
Wouldn't hurt to adopt a rescue dog if you don't want the pain of raising a pup.
Good luck.
Gary

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Blue Heelers are my dog choice. With just a little trainin`, they`ll do whatever you ask of them. In my opinion, a Heeler will bond to you like no other dog.

zzweims

Best dog for kids is a Golden Retriever, followed closely by a Rough Collie. (Lassie)
Had both, and they raised my kids and grandkids.
Wouldn't hurt to adopt a rescue dog if you don't want the pain of raising a pup.
Good luck.
Gary

I agree. I'd add Newfie to the list, but they are massive and probably wouldn't do well in southern heat. Another choice would be Sheltie, or Shetland Sheep Dog. They look like mini-collies and are great with little kids.

hunter001

Sheltie

Sheltie's (Minature Collies) are very loving and protective dogs. They are small dogs and are great with children. They love the attention that you give them. They are very easy to train. My boys had shelties since they were around 5 years old. Would not have anyother dogs for my granddaughters.

Dogmusher

I've had more breeds of dog than the AKC and I pretty much have had good luck with all of them. Not surprising, though, I've had more huskies than anything else. Great with kids, but the exercise demands mean they are not for everyone.

Best dog I ever had with my kids was a border collie I got from a farmer. Bob was a working sheep dog who had been injured and wasn't able to work anymore.

One day, my daughter, who was in diapers, managed to get the front door open and was headed towards the street. Old Bob ran her down, grabbed her by the huggie and pulled her straight down on her backside. He then trotted over to our front gate which was broken and lay down across the opening. It was pretty darned impressive. For the next several days, until if fixed it, whenever the kids were playing in the front yard, Bob would lay in front of the gate. Darned fine dog.

HORTON

English Springer Spaniels

Before we got our Molly, the breeder said they love everyone so much, they would run off with an axe murderer.
She's been a great dog with all my kids. She's 45 lbs, so not too big for the house, but still has a big enough bark to scare away intruders.

Jeff Phillips

For a no shedding dog, it is real hard to beat a schnauser! We have one that we bought from a member here on Woody's and he is part of the family. Fetches, plays, snuggles, etc. Titan is a fine dog!

We have a neighbor that has a Boykin that is really good and gentle with their son. They can be a little too protective with other kids.

sbrown

So many good breeds to choose from. Depends on what you want really from this dog and how much time,excercise, coat care, etc. you want to devote to it. I have had many, many different breeds, raised and bred Siberian Huskies, Weimeraners, Old Engliish Mastiffs and owned many more like Rottweilers, Danes, Shepherds, Chow, not to mention all the rabbit,deer,and coon hounds. I beleive a Golden Retreiver can be a good choice personally,some coat care required there though. My Mastiff has by far been the best dog I have ever owned and has been the best tempered dog I have ever seen, excellent around kids and other animals, kept him in the house almost fulltime until he was 7 months and hit 100 lbs, so the size is not for everyone nor is the slobber. Low maintenance and coat care also, except for food, they can eat a little. Not to be confused with the Bull Mastiff which is completely different, good breed, but can be more aggresive if not handled firmly, same can be said for a lot of breeds though. Just make sure you research what breeds fit your lifestyle and schedule the best. For instance, will dog be left alone home during the day. Some breeds do fine, others will find a way to occupy themselves like seeing how much they can destroy. Good luck !

RoboHunter

Lab and Golden Retriever mix...best dog I ever had.

DOXIELADY

DACHSHUNDS,of course you knew I would say that,I have three kids and had the dachshund first and there very loving ,I will be having one more litter off my isabellas and they the sweetest if you decide for winny,these weigh about 6 to 7 lbs the ,dam gracie is in the little pic and louie is the sire,

Attachments

• hi.jpg
    hi.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 659
  • mostly dogs 015.JPG
    mostly dogs 015.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 659
  • mostly dogs 016.jpg
    mostly dogs 016.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 666