Found this one today

choctawlb

I found this point today in one of our food plots. Been finding percussion flakes for a month so I knew it was just a matter of time before some points would show up. It's a bummer the haft is broken.

Ken
DSC00392.jpg

DSC00394.jpg

DSC00393.jpg

DSC00390-1.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Looks like a fresh break Ken. You might find the rest of that one.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Looks like a Kirk Serrated to me Ken. Old too, Archaic period.

swampstalker

I agree with Nick. Nice find Ken, Keep your eye out for the base of it. I guess you could call it a snapped base kirk. I have never understood why many people call points like this an "intentional snapped base point". Nick, I know you have seen other sites where people call it a snapped base kirk, what do you think. I cant think of any reason to break a blade at the hafting area, can you?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Not intentionally! I sorta figure it like this, when it is hafted, that`s the likely spot for it to break, especially if it is bein` used as a knife. If you get it in a bind and torque the blade just a little, and it`s gonna snap tight there.

Seems like I recall a point type called a Decatur, that has the very bottom of the base clipped off, kinda like a burin spall, but that is a different situation.

Nugefan

nice un' buddy .......:banana:

Redbow

Nice find! Thanks for sharing!

swampstalker

Thanks Nick. I have found a few in the past that still have some core left on the base, but never found an arrowhead that I would say was intentionally broken. I agree with you.

dutchman

Broke base notwithstanding, that is a fine point!

choctawlb

I marked where I found it, so I may go back and do some digging for the haft. When I first saw it I thought it was a percussion flake , as it was 3/4 covered, got a surprise when I went to pick it up:banana:.
Ken

bowyer

Very nice find. You appear to have a complete archaic snapped base point most likely a kirk. Several types of points were made during the archaic period with a snapped base as well with the original rind .