Horse Folks-High Tensile Fencing?????

sharon

When we bought and fenced our farm 4 years ago, we used woven wire for the perimeter of the 40 acre property. For cross fencing, we used 2 strands of high tensile wire (electrified). Now, we'd like to add more strands and only run juice through the top strand. Anyone use this type of fencing for their horses/mules? I want to stay away from barbed wire, but don't want the expense of more woven wire...last time (several weeks ago)we checked prices here at TS and the Co-Op, RedBrand 330' roll was $160.00-$168.00, compared to $74.00 a roll, 4 years ago...can't handle that! Thanks for any input!

Fenceing

I have a 6 acre field with 5 strands ,4 of which are hot ,,, my horses have not challanged the it yet.:flag:

T

tuffdawg

Yes....... have had it. neighbors currently uses it............ it works great. And much more affordable and easier to run. :)

Darkhorse

From past experience I'd stay away from high tensile single strand fencing. Too hard for the horses to see and it cuts. And field wire is too expensive for cross fencing.
Take a look at Electra-Braid.
I run 7 Arabians including a very studdy acting stud Arab inside electra braid. My perimeter fencing is electra braid as is all my cross fencing.
Do a google on the stuff and have them send you a video. It's good stuff and you won't be dissapointed.

pbyles

Would never use barbed wire on a horse/mule-

Have used the electra braid.....
Pros-
they see it better
looks fancier in the field
Cons-
it will shred with time
it is usually more expensive
i had a friend that had a baby get a front leg over it...she rocked and rocked trying to get off of it w/o panicking....she completely severed her tendon- had to be put down.

I have had horses my entire life.....

Would reccommend nothing less than a 14guage or better ALUMINUM hot wire....
the thicker the wire is the easier it is to see (aluminum shines well, they see it w/o flaggers)
it wont break easily
it will get VERY hot b/c of the density of the aluminum
it wont rust
it will last forever (or as long as u need)

I usually use no more than 2 or 3 strands.....with the 6' T-posts

I have had stallions, mares, geldings, babies.....never had problems....